US Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adkins, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    OK, we're less than 3 weeks away now! Anyone want to talk about the upcoming US Grand Prix in Indianapolis??

I know many people think the race is meaningless, because Mike's got the points already locked up. Still, I'm looking forward to it. I want to see who will ultimately end up with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

This will by my first time attending an F-1 race. I've been to the Indianapolis 500 many years ago. Anything different I need to know about this race?

Jeff

2. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

If you're going to the F1 race, bring ear plugs. Since there are no turbos on them, nothing quiets the exhaust. They will make you ears bleed.

Enjoy!

3. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Good luck to DC and KR

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Have fun, Jeff. I may yet make it to one of those eventually. From what I've heard, and heard loudly, is that this year's USGP is far from sold out. Apparently, according to various reports from rpm.com, you should be able to obtain scalped tickets for far, far less than face value.

Nonetheless, any F1 GP is a spectacle high on my must-see list.

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'm going for all 3 days (3rd time for me) and I can't wait. I don't care that the race is "meaningless" its still an F1 race! The best drivers in the world (and Alex Yoong) driving the best cars in the world (and Minardi) whats not to like? [​IMG]
    Ditto to the ear-plugs, those things are LOUD! They don't sound anything like the do on TV. I've heard stories about people who live near the track in Indianapolis who said they had never heard the cars on the track until the USGP was held there...
    I would recommend sitting opposite the pits for one practice session (if you will be there all 3 days) and watch what goes on in the garages. Also spend time in the deceleration and acceleration areas of a corner, there's nothing out there that will brake corner and accelerate like an F-1 cars.
    The venue is pretty good, the track layout is not the greatest, but with all the grandstands the facilities are more like an NFL stadium than your typical road course!
    Enjoy the race!

6. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I love F1. I completely agree that Mike is the best there ever was, and probably the best there will ever be, but jeeze I wish he would go away. [​IMG]
    Im going for Juan Pablo and Ralph Schumacher. I love those Williams brothers. I cant wait to see what BAR does next year with Villeneuve and Button. They will be Honda's only team, and it should give them a much needed boost.
    My boss is gonna be at the USGP, and was at last years as well and he raves about it!
    My prediction:
    1. Michael Schumacher
    2. Juan Pablo Montoya
    3. Kimi Raikkonen
    4. Ruebens Barichello
    5. Jarno Trulli
    6. Giancarlo Fisichella

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I would like to go to the practice and qualifying days as well. Are these tix sold as General Admission at the Speedway or do I need to order these online?

Jeff

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

All Friday and Saturday tickets are GA. Iw ould imagne you would be ableto get them on the day, but I don't know for sure.

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Okay all, the Star reports today what was already known...ticket sales are way down which means you will be able to scalp BELOW face value for most seats.
    It also means that you should NOT pay over face value since you can just go to the ticket window.
    It also means parking will be improved greatly and getting in and out will be much better. Right now they are talking about only 120,000 which is a damn sight less than the 300,000 permanent seats (plus GAs) that are filled on 500 and Brickyard days.
    We have rain on tap for Friday and we look to be topping out at 60 degrees for the weekend. So bring the rain slicker and make sure to layer the clothing with a top layer sweatshirt.
    One thing to do with SAT qualifying is to view it from a different angle than you normally do. We have front straight seats so we always go to the viewing mounds for quallies. Mickey Mouse turns are the best for photo ops since you get many slow moving cars all bunched together during quallies.
    A big note on getting around that area though. There is the regular track, then there is the F1 track inside of that. So getting to the "outside" of the F1 track where most/all of the viewing mounds are is a bit trickier than you might think at first.
    There is a cross-over bridge that you must use that goes over the back stretch (Mary Hulman Blvd). The sides are covered to keep you from standing on it and watching the cars though you can get a cool look from the steps. Anyway, you have to go to that to get into the "outside" of the F1 track. I don't believe there is any entrance under the back stretch of the normal track. (well, maybe a walk-under bridge to the rest of the golf course, but then you usually have a worse walk to get to anyplace you might have parked).
    Also, the bridge traffic can get heavy (though not so much with the smaller crowd) so get to it with some time to spare if you are trying to get somewhere by a certain time.
    It's a good idea to pick up a viewing mound spot about 1 hour before quallies start.
    Fosters is the sponser and ALMOST the only beer. IIRC you can get Bud Lite under the front grandstand bleachers.
    Also, while the Paddock is okay you will probably rather have Paddock Penthouse seats if they are going cheap too. Those are the upper deck seats which gives you a much better view of the circuit.
    The one area that seating will still be tough to get is Turn 4 of the 500 which is the first turn of the race. You can try, but I would suspect those would be the one seats that might be overpriced by scalpers still.
    Anyway, if you are willing to go GA or just buy whatever seats to get in the race, you should be able to scalp 2 for the price of 1. We saw TONS of scalpers off of Georgetown and 16th by the front entrance, though they will be all around. Scalping is perfectly legal btw. However, if you come into town early, try checking the local news to look for counterfitting stories. It's only a small problem, but you don't want it to be you. They ususally have something specific to look for on the real tickets and also have cops working the crowd looking for these guys.
    INDY GO - bus service. For $25 (I think) you can get a bus pass and ride from several stops (downtown being one of the main ones, along with the zoo which is about 1/2 mile west of downtown on Washington St) to the track and back. Saves you the hassle of parking/driving. Return trips usually begin just before the end of the race and the pickup point is usually about 2 blocks south of the track.
    However, if you have a mini-van or large car and a group of 4 or more it would be a lot cheaper just to drive and park (parking runs from $10 for a long walk to $30 for something close). Parking in front yards is very normal so you don't need to feel to weird about trusting your car to this, though I never do it simply because it is so hard to get back out in traffic.
    I would recommend avoiding coming in from 465 (10th or Crawfordsville exits) since traffic seems to back up the most in that direction. I-70 to Holt might work better, or even from the east down 16th. Also 65 south to Lafayette Square/38th St. area is sometimes a bit quicker too.
    FOOD - the first year the food lines were terrible and they were actually running short on stuff (very unusual). Can't remember how it was last year. This was only on race day. It never hurts to bring a SMALL cooler with a couple of drinks and some sandwiches.
    Cheap styrofoam coolers can be even better since you can leave those behind at the end of the race.
    Last note - Sarah Fisher will be running a backup McLaren on FRI doing some testing. If you are in town just for the race it's probably worth kicking around the track on FRI since they have plenty of events going on. Just beware of the FRI rain forecast.

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

13. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Just to clarify, Sarah is not "Testing" this is a publicity stunt (thanks to her and McLaren having a common sponsor who is also willing to pay McL to put her int he car). She is also driving the only spare car McLaren are sending to the US, so there is NO WAY she will be allowed to get anywhere near the limits of the car!

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well, I understand that Charles, but still its a pretty cool thing I think. It's looking like she might have to run in the rain.
    What the hell does McLaren care, they already got their asses handed to them by Ferrari...again. [​IMG]
    I'm actually not a big Ferrari fan, I was just joking about yet another boring finish to the season.
    If Montoya could win the crowd would go ape shit at Indy.

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

BTW, Charles, I got to do some testing for Ford a few weeks ago...
    Well, actually anyone who buys 4 tickets or more got a pass for a free F1 lap. [​IMG] It was PACKED with cars waiting to get on. They are sending me a photo of us in the car on the track, but it hasn't arrived yet.
    Still, it was very cool. While the 30 mph limit on the 500 section was wimpy (gave me time to take pictures though), it was lively enough in some of the turns (I was trying to run the lines based on playing F1 on PS2 [​IMG] ).
    30 mph in a Mustang in the Mickey Mouse turns was actually bordering on challenging. The car was leaning hard and you could feel a bit of g-force. Hard to imagine cars doing 60 mph in those turns.

16. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Sadly, I'm not going to make it this year...
    A couple words of advise to those going multiple days...
    First, take some time and head over toward the museum to check out (among other things) that historic F1 car garage. You can get VERY close to the cars and talk to the owners. There will be other exhibits around there and it's also pretty easy to get to the infield spectator mounds.
    I'd also make a point of sitting somewhere on Friday and/or Saturday that is DIFFERENT from where you're sitting on Sunday. My seats are in the Northwest Vista, which is a great place, but I really enjoyed watching a practice session in the Southeast Vista. Another cool place to go is right at the bottom of the stands as they come off of oval turn 1. You can stand near the fence and feel the thump of air as they go by (wear ear protection there for sure).
    Also, if you have a scanner/headphones, bring it and tune to the Speed Channel frequencies to hear their broadcasts live. It gives a lot more insight to know what's going on with the teams (during practice and qualifying especially). I'll edit this message and post the frequencies if I find them, or you should be able to find them by searching around the 450-457 MHz and 150-157 MHz.
    -Steve

17. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Hey Seth what's the betting your lap time is faster than Sarah's? [​IMG]

18. jeff morris

jeff morris Agent

1. Michael
    2. Reubens

19. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Steve is right about the turn 1 (500) area. Get right by the wall down low and the pure speed will blow you away. We do this for 500 quallies for part of the day. That's my fiancees favorite part.
    Ironically Charles, I was already running Sarah's car...okay, it's my fiacee Sarah, not Fisher, but I do think I did better than she would have (fiancee, not Fisher [​IMG] ).
    Here are some in-car pix - the sort of thing you can do while driving 30 mph [​IMG] I have yet to get the track's official photo of the car on the track. [​IMG]
    First, they brought you in the north gate and sent you to the road that runs parallel with Hulman Blvd (the F1 track), so you actually entered in the last turn before returning to the track. This is me early on making my inside move...
    [​IMG]
    Here I am passing the pit entrance. It's a good vantage point to see how the F1 garages actually are inside even the pit lane wall. Pit lane goes unused basically at the USGP, but at this point you can still see the rubber left by the NASCAR teams. Note the nice blue/green glass (well, it's hard to see in this smaller version of the photo) of the new suites that were built above the garages just for F1 (as were the F1 garages). For the 500 and 400 those garages have stands in front of them. Gasoline alley sits behind all that stuff, basically go toward the Pagoda from this shot and then make a hard right.
    [​IMG]
    This photo still does not do justice in showing just how close the stands really are to the track. This is right past the flag stand looking up at the Paddock Penthouse where I have sat many times. It sure looked closer looking up at it than it does looking down from it. [​IMG] This is true for the short chute stands as well.
    [​IMG]
    Turn 7 I think. I still get them mixed up. Actually, I think 7 goes onto the back straight, so then this might be considered 5 or 6. 30 mph here was not bad at all, but you could feel it a little. I didn't take photos in the Micky Mouse turns because it was to tight to drive and shoot. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the pedestrian walk-over bridge that anyone going to the viewing mounds will have to take. As I mentioned, the sides will be covered on race weekend so that you can't stand on it and watch the action.
    [​IMG]
    Weather forecast has improved. Cloudy only, even on Friday. Temps expected in the low 70's. Finally, we just might get an entire F1 weekend with good weather. [​IMG]

20. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Dang it! I was hoping for rain on Sunday [​IMG] Oh well, mid 70s will be nice. We had a good laugh at the cheesy announcer droning on about the 'lovely Hoosier sunshine' last year, but it was very pleasant weather.
    Due to circumstances beyond my control I'll be lucky if I make it there for the qualifying session. We've been sitting in the turn13 (oval 1) area for qualifying too. Last year the pace car (M-B SL500) did a real flier through there on his recon lap before the session started, it was pretty impressive to see a road car go through there at (I'd guess) 130 mph!
    I might be able to get into one of the luxury suites again this year (last year it was one of the Tower Terrace suites on Friday, but it will be on race day this year!) not sure if it is one of the regular suites or the F-1 paddock suites... Wish me luck! [​IMG]