US govt. being sued by Tsunami survivors and victims!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Mar 7, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just heard on the radio that the US government is being sued by a Tsunami victims group for not warning the tourists in Thailand and elsewhere!! They said it was mainly made up of Germans and Austrians.

WTF?!? Now, its our fault? You have to be kidding me. All of our buoys are in the Pacific, not the Indian Ocean. I saw a Discovery channel program about the Tsuanami and they talked to US scientists that picked up the Earthquake readings in Hawaii. But, had no idea what was going on in the ocean, due to lack of data.

[​IMG]

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I doubt this will go far. One of the problems in this region is that many of these countries have no one to tell. There are no early warning systems in the area and the countries affected do not have 24x7 disaster support. This was early morning on a Sunday (locally) and late Saturday night (Christmas night) in the US. I think it was just universally bad luck and I don't see the suit going very far.

Kenneth

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

That's pretty crappy. And they're the survivors...damn.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The group is filing suit in the US, they are not suing the US government (unless you count NOAA as the government).

The dateline on the story is February 14.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So what does the US have to do with Europeans staying in a Thai hotel chain??? Probably our track record of frivolous lawsuits. [​IMG]

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The US awards people millions of dollars if they pour hot coffee on their crotch. Thailand would probably cane (thats "cane" the verb) you for bringing up the ridiculous lawsuit.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

What program was it? I'm guessing some talk radio program, which are well known for taking a story like this and (either deliberately or incompetently) distorting it like this.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

How do you know the hotel chain was Thai? The hotel may very well have been owned by an American company.

9. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I did a google search on this and they are suing a French hotel chain, the Thai government, and NOAA. Since only NOAA is a US entity and all the plaintiffs are European I would expect it to be thrown out of American court. If they are serious they should have used the world court, French courts, or the Thai court system. It seems ridiculous to tie up the US system with a suit that doesn't affect the US.

Kenneth

10. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

These frivolous lawsuits have gone too far. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You mean the McDonald's case? Considering the facts it's not (as) frivolous. And when a corporation makes billions of dollars, damages have to be in the millions to get them to take notice -- although that's not what finally happened in that case. (Perhaps the distribution of the money can be changed to be less lottery-like.)

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

it was also in the NY Post.

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Another "despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage" story. It was likely mentioned on a talk-radio program with a specific agenda, to further antagonize the intended audience.

Am I wrong? I'm betting no.

Todd

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Ok, I read the website and it agrees with the facts:

Fact 1: Liebeck spills coffeee on self. Coffee is not thrown at person by McDonalds employee. Liebeck spills coffee on self after already leaving McDonalds.

Fact 2: Liebeck has had coffee before, because she already knows that she must add cream & sugar. Cannot possibly claim ignorance of fact that coffee is a hot beverage.

Fact 3: Jury awards Liebeck $480,000 for spilling coffee on self. Temperature in Hell drops to 32 degrees farenheight

15. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

No, you clearly didn't.

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

/weblink.

I'm sorry, the Jury awarded 2.7 million dollars, which the trial court reduced to $480,000. What she settled for is secondary to the fact that a Jury figured McDonalds should pay someone 2.7 million dollars for spilling coffee on themselves.

Yes, McDonalds knows that people don't drink coffeee at home like they should, but Johnson & Johnson also knows that 99/100 of its Q-Tips are used for cleaning ears (which the package clearly states Q-tips should never be used for ear cleaning). Just because a company knows people missuse its products shouldn't mean they are forced to pay ridiculous sums when people hurt themselves doing stupid things (like cleaning their ears with a cardboard stick or trying to hold coffee with their knees).

17. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I am not sure if the coffee McDonald's case is the best example of totally frivilous lawsuits. Clearly there were issues on both sides and the case was eventually settled.

The "McDonald's made me fat" cases are probably closer to being truly frivilous.

Back to the Tsunami case, I can't judge from the information provided whether it is a valid case or not. I can judge that it shouldn't be tried in the American court system. Since they claim that they are only seeking information and not compensatory damages it shouldn't matter whose court system they use. Since none of the plaintiffs are Americans and the two primary defendents are non-American's (Thai Government, French Hotel Chain) it seems ridiculous to tie up our limited court resources on this question.

What is the point of having a so called world court if everyone is going to try their cases in the US court system?

Kenneth

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

She wasn't actually awarded the money for spilling coffee on herself, y'know. She was awarded the money because of the burns caused by the coffee being kept artificially hotter than most places keep their coffee. That may seem like splitting hairs, but it's a key difference.

This coffee case keeps coming up on htf again & again & again. Do a search.

19. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Considering that the NY Post is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, I would tend to agree this is intended to fire up its audience.

20. andrew markworthy

I feel the pain of the litigants if they lost loved ones, and I really do sympathise with them in that respect. But what will the litigation do? Will it bring back loved ones? Will suing prevent another tsunami? Will it help rebuild the wrecked coastline communities? Will it encourage tourists to return to an area that desperately needs tourism to survive?