What's new

US DVD Player on European TV - please help... (1 Viewer)

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hi fellow HTFers.
I am from Germany and own a US DVD Player (JVC XV-S65).
As you probably know, for the picture, it has component outputs as well as s-video and cinch.
I connected the DVD player to my television with an s-video cable (picture). Now, the picture clearly shows that this is not as good as DVD gets - I can compare it to a region 2 player that I can connect to my tv via SCART and the quality is BETTER - so, s-video is not the way to go.
Is there a way (i.e. an adapter) that I can use the component outs (RGB) and plug it into my tv's SCART input? (which is RGB ready)
How else could I achieve higher picture quality?
THANK YOU very much,
any help appreciated,
Sebastian. :)

ChrisSk

Grip
To convert component to SCART RGB you would need a converter costing several hundred dollars. Some European TVs from Toshiba through seperate component inputs, or Loewe TVs can accept component via SCART. S-Video seems like it's the best you're going to get with what you currently have.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris - thank you for your reply. :)
For the TV to accept the components via SCART, I would need an adapter, right? Where can I get that? Component is good enough for me, I don't need RGB. :)
Sebastian.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Component and RGB are different standards entirely, although the picture quality they achieve is similar.

It would be cheaper for you to just buy a new DVD player that has a SCART output, I think. I have a Toshiba 2109 that also is a US model originally and I use the s-video connector. I think it looks just great on my 32 inch widescreen set.

Of course, as soon as I buy a projector I'll be using the component output instead; in fact, I would rather take the component outputs than RGB since my receiver has component in/out as well so I can use it as a switcher.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the TV accepts Y/Pb/Pr component video as well as RGB it might use the same SCART video in jack and all you need is a cable with RCA plugs at one end and a SCART plug at the other. There will be a manual menu or switch selection on the TV. Also a few DVD players have a choice of RGB or component video, again with a manual selection. What counts is that the DVD player and TV match each other, and also match the scan rate which for U.S. players is 480i or for some players, 480p in addition.
Provided the scan rate matches, the picture will be intelligible enough for you to make the correct Y/Pb/Pr to RGB selection with.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for your replies. :)
Allan, if I would use a cable with RCA on one end and SCART on the other, what would the quality be? Better than s-video?
If so, where can I get such a cable?
Thank you very much,
Sebastian. :)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Component video or RGB out of the DVD player is better than its S-video, although the difference to most people is not great. (Assuming some combination of available choices gets both DVD player and TV to deal with Y/Pb/Pr or both to deal with RGB)

I am not sure who sells RCA to SCART cables, but custom video shops can make them. You can also check different on line vendors such as bettercables.com

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Also, it should be emphasized that a SCART-to-RCA cable won't do anything for you if your TV can't handle component video. Most European sets would have problems, I think. My Samsung 32 incher can't handle component, as far as I know. Perhaps one of the more up-scale RPTV's can... but most RPTV's sold in Europe are pale shadows of the US HDTV RPTV's so I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks