US DVD player in the UK

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Gavin.F, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Gavin.F

Gavin.F Extra

Right, Ive been through a few options, and another Ive thought of is importing a US DVD player to the UK, where I live. What would I need to do this? A change of plug and a stepdown converter?

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

First off, if you dont already know, US DVD players will only play region 1 discs from North America. Yes you will need a stepdown transformer, I believe you use 230VAC where we use 120VAC. Also the DVD players here are NTSC format, I dont know if this is compatible with European televisions.

3. Gavin.F

Gavin.F Extra

Yeah, I know about the region coding and I guessed about the stepdown converter because of the different power current. However, as far as Im aware, most UK TVs support NTSC now, as well as PAL, so that wouldnt really be an issue. After all, we do have multiregion DVD players which can play the NTSC region 1 software.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Gavin,

Because of the wide availability of modified players here in Europe, I finally switched from my imported Toshiba, which I used for more than 5 years, to a local DVD player 6 months ago. I did not notice anything I could do with my previous player, that doesn't work with this one. So you should ask yourself why you want that US player now.

But here's your answer: you only need a power step-down transformer, which is readily available in electronic "Radio Shack" type shops. They have an 'American' outlet (female) and a European (British) wall plug connector (of course, you should check that, to be certain).

Video connections are generally straightforward: S-Video = S-VHS. And yes, most TV sets support NTSC now (as do lots of VHS tape recorders).

Cees