What's new

US Cellular pop-up (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm seeing a U.S. Cellular pop-up advertisement on nearly every page I click on in the forum.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Same here. It's making me want to hunt down the people at US Cellular and stay far away from HTF. It's avoiding my popup blocker too, somehow. I'll check back in a few weeks and see if you've fixed it but till then I'm gone.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Not seeing it.

Using FF latest and AdBlock Plus.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Today I've seen both US Cellular and something like VM Fusion 8. There's also an occasional pop-up banner ad appearing at the bottom of the page.

I'm using Chrome.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is the frame source info:

Ziff Davis 640x480

.edgeLoad-EDGE-279442836 { visibility:hidden; }

AdobeEdge.loadComposition('Ziff_Davis_Lights_640x480', 'EDGE-279442836', {

scaleToFit: "none",

centerStage: "none",

minW: "0",

maxW: "undefined",

width: "640px",

height: "480px"

}, {"dom":{}}, {"dom":{}});

id="Stage" class="EDGE-279442836">

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting the feeling that Ron is avoiding answering these types of questions. I asked about it a several days ago and, so far, no response:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/343873-forum-and-ios-7/?p=4319858

Video/audio ads that automatically play are the most annoying ads. When I see those on a site, I stop going to the site. Period.

Next in line is these pop up or pop open ads. I understand the site's need to be financially viable, but site owners need to find a better way to monetize instead of constantly annoying their members with IN YOUR FACE advertising.

Other sites have come up with very clever ways to monetize by tying their Amazon associate accounts to price watch services for their customers. THAT is the way to monetize without annoying your members.

I am more than willing to pay a yearly fee to make the ads go away here on the forum. But, so far, nobody seems interested in answering my question in the thread I linked above. Are ALL ads removed if I subscribe? Will ALL ads remain removed if I subscribe?

Mark

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Steve_Pannell said:
I'm getting a pop-up every time I come to HTF. Not on every page but the first time I open HTF.

Are the pop-ups here to stay?
No, those are supposed to be for logged out users only. I'll forward your issue to Kevin who manages them.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Mark Booth said:
I'm getting the feeling that Ron is avoiding answering these types of questions. I asked about it a several days ago and, so far, no response:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/343873-forum-and-ios-7/?p=4319858

Video/audio ads that automatically play are the most annoying ads. When I see those on a site, I stop going to the site. Period.

Next in line is these pop up or pop open ads. I understand the site's need to be financially viable, but site owners need to find a better way to monetize instead of constantly annoying their members with IN YOUR FACE advertising.

Other sites have come up with very clever ways to monetize by tying their Amazon associate accounts to price watch services for their customers. THAT is the way to monetize without annoying your members.

I am more than willing to pay a yearly fee to make the ads go away here on the forum. But, so far, nobody seems interested in answering my question in the thread I linked above. Are ALL ads removed if I subscribe? Will ALL ads remain removed if I subscribe?

Mark
Sorry Mark, this was just brought to my attention. Yes, all ads will be removed with one caveat. If there is a custom site skin or wrap (doesn't happen that often), you will still see that (I believe) since its a part of the site. All the ad units you see today will be gone. Regarding video or audio ads, we don't like them and have told our ad networks not to use them. Having said that sometimes they slip through without our consent. If you see/hear one please let us know. If you can get the source code that is even better, otherwise its like wack a mole trying to find it so we can get it reported and removed.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Hello everyone,

We do not have code enabled to allow for pop-up ads for logged in members. I have added some debug code to the site that you could help me understand why you might be seeing them. The only time users should be seeing a 1x1 ad unit (i.e. what you are probably referring to as a pop-up) is below. I would like to solicit help here as I have extensively tested the logic between logged in members, owners and not-logged in members. Because there we are in the holiday season, their is plenty of 1x1 inventory. The ad networks cap 1x1 to display only once a day per user per browser. You can help me test things here by clearing your cookies on the particular browser you are using and then doing a screen grab of your entire browser window where you see the 1x1 ad. This will allow me to log in as you and trace the code path to see how you are getting the 1x1 ad unit.

1x1AdUnit.jpg

On this particular example you also will see an extra bar at the tip of the site. This bar only appears if you are an owner or not logged in. The phrase "owner" or "not logged in" will appear in that top bar. I have them circled in red.

NotLoggedIn.jpg

I'm also not sure if people are referring to this type of ad unit. If so, that would not be considered a pop-up ad. I have it below.

790x90BottomAdUnit.png

We have no intention of having pop-up ads for members. We disable pop-up ads, ads between topics and posts if you are a member and we try to encourage people to become a member to not see those ads. If there is a desire to have no ads, we do have premium memberships available. Unfortunately, affiliate revenue, barely covers the hosting costs of the site so we are forced to use ad networks as a means to host the site and have 7x24 monitoring support if the site goes down. Ad Networks are also taking a new approach industry wide at paying out with the CPM model being abolished and the new vCPM model which pays substantially less.

At any rate, we don't want 1x1's or ads between topics and posts appearing for any logged in member. Sorry for the experience as it is not our intent to have the experience be this way for logged in users.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Adam and Kevin! For what it's worth, the 1x1 ad I'm getting is for Verizon, not US Cellular. As you mentioned, I am getting once a day on my first visit to the forum. I just got it again about 30 seconds ago, but I hadn't read your message yet so I dismissed it. I'll try to remember to grab it tomorrow.

Kevin, Your attachments aren't showing up for me.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm logged in (using Chrome) and still get these on every single page. Very disruptive. I've also seen the one Steve mentioned which is a video commercial, not just a static ad.

US Cellular ad2.JPG

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I get the US Cellular repeatedly while logged in Firefox . Most of my HTF time though is via the app so not as big an issue for me. However it is annoying when using the desktop. I don't mind the ads, just the repitivity of it.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In reference to Adam's comment in the closed thread, this is happening a lot more than once a day. I get them on almost every page I open, all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks