US/CDN versions of Baraka and Devil's Backbone

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Tsai, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Do you guys know what the differences are (if any) between the Canadian and US release of Devil's Backbone and Baraka? Do they have the same transfers and extras?

Devil's Backbone:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Baraka:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

I have the Canadian Devil's Backbone, and as far as I can tell, it is identicle to the US version...extras and A/V wise...in fact, the only difference is the crappy coverart, which looks like a 10 year old kid created it in Microsoft Paint, and was printed on a bad colour printer......but that's a minor quibble...

3. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

I own the Canadian version of The Devil's Backbone and, as far as I know, the only differences are the cover art and the option to choose French or English menus. Theres not that many extras(commentary, featurette, storyboards and a trailer) but its an excellent film(my fav of 2002) and its got a lovely transfer and a very enjoyable commentary track.

4. Tom Tsai

so I guess Devil's Backbone is the same then. How about Baraka? anyone know?

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

In the US at least, the Green colored Baraka replaced the orignal (pic on left) with a remastered product. I don't know if the remastered version was issued in CN with the original cover art but if you want the best version, get the green US one.

-paul

6. Tom Tsai

yes, I believe the Canadian one was reissued. The original US and Canadian release both had a nonanamorphic transfer. Both special editions here says anamorphic...so I'm guessing they both have a new transfer.

7. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    No need to guess - both the American & Canadian version share the same new anamorphic transfer.