US$99 iPod coming in January 2004

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Danny Tse, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

woohoooo I can finally afford one. Big question is how's the internal amp? If it's worse than my discman I'll have to stick with CDs.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I will definitely buy one if this rumor turns out to be true.

As for the amp section, most everything out there is quite bad. That's why there are portable headphone amps available....such as the Headsave Mint.

4. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Save your money folks.

You can already buy MP3 players for $49. Plus, they will play MP4 and WMA while the Ipod can not and never will because of Apple.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I actually did have a loaded Headsave Transit at one point but didn't notice a big difference between my discman and the META-42 based Transit. I did however try out an mp3-playing iRiver SlimX which had the worst internal amp I've ever heard. I returned it the next day even though I had gotten a deal on it.

6. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    I know the current 3rd generation iPods are pricey. However since getting the 20GB model, I find it to be indispensable. It's great for having certain non-mp3 files to help in upgrading/fixing a friends computer, not to mention the mp3 collection, calendar, alarm clock, contacts list, or just plain use it as a firewire/USB 2.0 hard-drive. It can even be used as a boot disc, one of many secrets I didn't know about till recently and I can't wait to discover the rest of them. I even hear that the new Lexus car models are coming with an option to have an iPod port, being able to put it in like a cassette and access all your mp3's is simply killer.

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Isn't AAC also known as mp4? If so, that is the format of choice for Apple. And WMA is a proprietary format of Microsoft - why would Apple support it?

Sure, you can buy mp3 players for $49 but they are not iPods. Design, interface, speed, iTunes, and the iTunes Music Store are clear differentiating factors.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

$99..Ha! More likely a $199 unit. Why? Apple makes all their iTunes profit from the $299 unit and still manage to sell-out. they wont butcher their own cash-cow until sales suffer. And they didnt suffer this Xmas.

9. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I hate to burst your FUD bubble Jeff, but Apple's AAC IS MP4. So basically the only format it doesn't play is Microsoft's proprietary WMA. Have you ever even used an iPod? [​IMG]

10. Jeff W.

No have you ever even used Napster? Oh that's right you can't.

11. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    So let em get this straight. You're telling people to avoid buying an iPod based on dubious "facts" which have been since proven wrong. And to top it all off you've never even used one?

As for Napster, I can run it. I use Windows XP.

12. RolandDeschain

Why in the hell would he want to run Napster when there's iTunes Music Store? Do you know anything about Apple's products? On second thought don't answer, we already know the answer to that question.

13. Laurence_C

Laurence
    I must say, as a non-Apple type of guy before buying the iPod, I didn't respect or give much time to Apple products. I now respect Apple as equally as I respect the Windows/PC world of computers. As I stated above, I find my iPod to be very indispensable and it does very much run off my Windows XP Pro platform as well as play the many mp3's I have managed to obtain through much work. Having put much research into Creative, iRiver, Archos, Dell, HP, etc.,etc.,etc., hands down the iPod is the "Cream of the Crop and is at least a couple of generations ahead of the rest of the pack when it comes to these gadgets. One more thing, I thought AAC was mp4?????????? What say the rest of you guys!!!!

14. Jeff W.

Napster is just one example. If you don't like Napster - take your pick of the half-dozen alternatives you can choose from with non-Apple software and portable music players.

With Apple you can ONLY buy music from Apple and it will ONLY play on the iPod or in iTunes.

Lastly, yes I did try iTunes for PC. I found it to be a slow, buggy piece of shit. Then I found out that music I bought and paid for can not be played in Winamp, or any portable other than iPod, or any of those music servers if I maybe wanted to buy one in the future.. etc.. etc... etc..

You were saying something about "propietary"? That's rich.

15. Laurence_C

Laurence
    Jeff, I'm not sure that you have fully researched the iPod/Apple thoroughly. I have over 50GB of music in mp3 files and have had NO problem moving them into the iTunes library for loading to my iPod. iTunes isn't the only software one can use with the iPod, apparently MusicMatch can also be used, though I haven't tried it, nor do I plan to since I like the iTunes software. All of my mp3's Ripped or downloaded are able to be moved to my iPod via the iTunes software. I don't use Napster or iTunes to buy downloads but in the future I may. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer to the best of my ability or will be glad to research further.

16. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Bleh, don't even bother Laurence. He's never even used an iPod yet still finds it necessary to come into an iPod thread and start thread crapping. We get it Jeff. You hate Apple. Why don't you start your own "I Hate Apple" thread. [​IMG]

BTW, you sure know absolutely nothing about iTunes or the iPod. I'll repeat this one more time for you and I'm done. The iPod will play any mp3, wav, and AAC (which is mp4) file you can throw at it. Want to listen to your recently downloaded iTune song on something other than an iPod? Just burn it to CD and re-rip it as an mp3, WMA, or non-copy protected AAC file. Now you can use it on any mp3 player.

Now go thread crap somewhere else.

17. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I just hope they release an iPod in colours other than white. It was cool two years ago.....

18. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    From what I understand, they will release them in many colors like the original iMac. We'll probably know something definite by Macworld on January 6. [​IMG]

19. Jeff W.

I never said you can't play old MP3s on it. I know you can do that. I also know you can burn your iTunes purchased files to CD then re-rip it in MP3/WMA/Ogg/etc... but that's just ridiculous to ask people to do that when all they want is to PLAY THE MUSIC THEY PAID FOR.

I never said the iPod wasn't cool or that I hate Apple. I merely pointed out some facts - facts which you have not so far refuted in any way, and of course the mac fanatics jumped down my throat. I should have known better I guess.

Ok I was wrong about MP4. Sue me. Everything else I said was correct though. Show me where I'm wrong again? ..... Yeah ok that's what I thought. Have a nice day! [​IMG]

20. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Let's see...wrong about iPod being incompatible with mp4, wrong about only being able to use tunes bought on iTunes on the iPod, wrong about me not being able to use Napster (not sure why you assumed I could not use Napster...strange), and wrong about me being a Mac fanatic (I've never even owned a Mac). Then the topper is that YOU'VE NEVER EVEN USED AN IPOD!!!!! It would be like me going to a BMW message board and thread crapping about how much better it would be to buy a Honda Civic even though I've never owned or driven a BMW.

Dude, seriously, stop thread crapping. If you enjoy other mp3 players and services then by all means start your own thread about said products. This thread is for people that are looking forward to the lower priced iPods that may be available in January.