US$80 AC filters... do they work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Dec 15, 2002.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I'm not here to ask for the merits of cleaning of AC power.

The question is whether those US$80 Monster Cable and/or Acoustic Research powerbars with the supposed AC cleaning capability actually works or should I just forget about it?

The budget will be around US$80 maximum.

2. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

the $80 units that you mention are basically glorified power strips...i would not rely on them for ac power conditioning or surge protection....

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you're asking will they attenuate EMI/RFI over certain frequency ranges in your AC line by a given amount, the answer is sure. A variety of similar products exist as say the Belkin Isolators which can be obtained at Staples. At least in the Isolators, each pair of outlets has an EMI/RFI attenuating component to provide some degree of isolation from interconnected equipment. The further away the outlet is from the cord, the greater the amount of EMI/RIF attenuation. As to whether you've got a problem and as to whether your equipment is succeptible to whatever levels that may exist remains to be seen/heard. I wouldn't advise spending a whole lot on this type of technology and to simply stick to relatively established players.