US$300 (street) subs. Any opinion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Mar 22, 2003.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I currently own a Kenwood 103 10" sub. Nothing wrong with it, love the sound, but it's not magneticaly shielded.

I'm thinking about replacing the unit with B&W 300-series sub (about US$280 street inlcuding our 15% taxes). Any comment about this sub? or any other subs, for that matter?

I don't like boomy bass, I like accurate bass. A bass sound that's supposed to be 1 second long should last exactly that, not 1.2 seconds. An acoustic double-bass should sound like one, not like electric double-bass.
    Something that supposed to sound like a "bup" should not become "boop".

well, you got the idea.

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

can you stretch the budget a bit? Adire Rava's are $399.

3. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

David,
    I just picked up the Athena P-2 sub,and am very impressed with its performance.Tight accurate bass and not boomy at all.S&V gave the s2,P2 an excellent mark in their review.
    It does have enough power to shake my HT room (18x12).I,like you ,want to hear the bass notes,not boom,boom constantly.
    I picked it up for $323 plus shipping,and since its a canadian product,you should be able to get a good deal on it.
    Happy sub shopping and good luck.

4. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

David:

There is a buyer's guide to subwoofers at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com that you should find helpful. Plenty of models are listed with MSRP's (including Canadian MSRP's for some) and plenty of specs.

Unfortunately I don't think the guide indicates if the subs have magnetic shielding or not, but it has links to the manufacturer's info. on each model so you will be able to check it out there.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I'd look to ebay or ubid.com for a refurb'd Infinity Il120. One member just won an auction here mentioned he won an auction for one at appx. $300 shipped. Their sound quality is great and ouput is good down to 25hz. They also offer a built in single band parametric eq which can reduce any particular frequencies your room exagerates.

If it means anything to you, one S&V reviewer said it was the subwoofer to beat under $1k. While I think it's a great sub at current prices, even a bit more, it won't compete with the likes of SVS or HSU.

6. KevinWEL

KevinWEL Stunt Coordinator

Just to throw out a suggestion: the Sony SA-WM40 is supposed to be a good deal at list price and I've seen plenty on ebay under $200!

7. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

The P2 and the IL120s are both good choices. It was SGHT that called the IL120s the sub to beat under $1000. S & V did a shoot out which included the IL100s. The IL100s did 80 db at 20 Hz. I would expect the IL120s to do better considering it has a 500 watt and 12" driver vs the IL100s 250 watt amp and 10" driver. But you must use the RABOS kit. For $300 it would be very hard to beat.

Phil

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Thanks for the correction Phil.

The 20hz output on the Interlude subs aren't all that impressive. If you check out the S&V report of the IL100 it's 25hz output was around 94-95dB.

9. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

TOM seemed to think that 80 db at 20 Hz was very respectable for a $500 dollar sub. I have read the report and TOM's S&V shootout. Neither of them measure the IL120. The best actually was the Intermezzo 1.2, IMO, which hit 80 db at 16 Hz. To be honest, there are other things to consider in a sub than just pure volume and how many people are going to crank it up all the way unless you live in an auditorium or just obscessed with bass. I hardly set my IL60s above a level of 3/10 and usually about 1.5/10 for music.

Phil