What's new

US 2 $ bill (1 Viewer)

Frank PW

Stunt Coordinator
My wife has been cleaning up some of her mothers things and came accross a $2 US bill.

We're not in the US but were curious as to when they were last in circulation?

The one we have is dated 1963.

Thanks

Frank

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Some were issued in the late 90's under Clinton. I can't exactly remember when, but it wasn't that long ago.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
$2 bills are now worthless. I will buy them as a collector item for $1 each. Please contact me if you would like to sell them. The old green $20 bills are also now worthless since being replaced by the new peach bills. As they have less value (more of them were in circulation) I will pay 50 cents for each old $20 you would like to unload.

That was a joke...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
$2 bills are now worthless. I will buy them as a collector item for $1 each. Please contact me if you would like to sell them. The old green $20 bills are also now worthless since being replaced by the new peach bills. As they have less value (more of them were in circulation) I will pay 50 cents for each old $20 you would like to unload.
sweet, i was beginning to think i would NEVER find a buyer for all my old money!

CJ

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Certainly this applies to the old $100 bills too, right? I'm willing to be generous and pay 20% of the face value. How about that, boyos? Send me your old benjamins and in return you'll get a brand-new $20 bill. They're cooler, AND legal! ;)

Devin U

Second Unit
I used to work in a bank. We allways had this guy who came in to buy all the old 50's and 100's right after they changed the style. He kept thinking that someday he was going to be rich from selling all of them. I dobt he never will be. Although, I do remember at the time, the bank had cleaned out the vaults and sold all the high demominations (the old 500's, 1000's, 5000's, and 10000's)they found at a auction and made like 2 million.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The US has on occasion prepared paper money that was intended to be dishonored under certain circumstances. I've got one of these "Hawaii dollars" myself. We were so concerned with the Japanese invading and occupying Hawaii during WWII that we issued special currency there marked "Hawaii" all over it. If the Japanese had taken Hawaii the US government would have repudiated all this "Hawaii" marked currency. Similar bills were produced for our troops in North Africa.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I love the artwork of the two-dollar-bill. Also, a $2 denomination is very handy. Does Canada still use the denomination?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Interestingly, we had a 2-dollar bill that was in rather wide circulation, until they came out with the 2-dollar coin, or "Two-nie" (Toonie)

When all of our money was still paper, you couldn't find a two-dollar bill to save your life. But when the "Loonie" (1-dollar coin) replaced the singles, suddenly EVERYONE and their dog had 2-dollar bills. They were everywhere, and very common. Then they came up with the 2-dollar coin.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Canadian Mint to come up with a 5-dollar coin soon. Argh.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well I think "someday" someone will be rich from selling them. Unfortunately it won't be that guy. More like his great-great-grandchildren.
On a semi-related note, I sure wish I could have gotten my hands on some of the pre-printed and ready-to-hit-the-streets "Chicago Cubs 2003 National League Champs" and "Red Sox 2003 AL Champs" caps, t-shirts and other merchandise that you just know was warehoused going into the final games of those series. Not to mention the "New York Yankees 27-time World Champions" stuff. (Of course, we'll eventually get those, they just won't be marked "2003")

As for the two dollar bill, et. al. The Treasury's idea was that eventually the $2 bill and the $1 coin will replace the $1 bill - which is uneconomical to produce and wears out too quickly. So far, however, actual users of the currency seem to be sticking with the old single - to the extent they use cash at all. (I use an ATM card 80% of the time, I almost never even write checks since I use Paytrust. I hardly ever see cash or the inside of a bank. I can't remember the last time I saw a $1 coin. Even when I worked retail I never saw one of them.)

Regards,

Joe

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly, we had a 2-dollar bill that was in rather wide circulation, until they came out with the 2-dollar coin, or "Two-nie" (Toonie)
When I lived, briefly, in Canada in the early '90s, there was a 2-dollar bill and a 1-dollar coin, the "Loonie" (with the bird on it!).

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Up until I read this thread, I had no idea there had ever been $5000 and $10000 bills. I knew about the $500 and $1000 ones, but those two blew my mind. And then I read about the $100000 note, which was only used for bank transfers and was never circulated among the public:

Holy crap :D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
When I was young I remember a 2-dollar bill, a 50-cent coin, and silver dollars. I haven't seen any of these in years.

With inflation, these denominations would be more useful than ever. Imagine being able to put in a single 2-dollar bill to get a $1.25 bottle of soda from a vending machine, or a 75-cent candy bar with just a 50-cent coin and a quarter, instead of having to practically empty your entire pocket into the machine like you do now.

Of course I'm dating myself by saying I remember when a quarter could actually buy more than a single gumball...

KJP

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Working in my parents' convenience store, we get $2 bills and 50-cent pieces pretty regularly. There are a few businesses that specifically give them out as change, a "trademark" of sorts for their business.

Don't see many $1 coins, though my Mom has a ton of the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins saved somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks