US 2 $ bill

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Frank PW, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Frank PW

Frank PW Stunt Coordinator

My wife has been cleaning up some of her mothers things and came accross a $2 US bill.

We're not in the US but were curious as to when they were last in circulation?

The one we have is dated 1963.

Thanks

Frank

2. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
  3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Some were issued in the late 90's under Clinton. I can't exactly remember when, but it wasn't that long ago.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

$2 bills are now worthless. I will buy them as a collector item for $1 each. Please contact me if you would like to sell them. The old green $20 bills are also now worthless since being replaced by the new peach bills. As they have less value (more of them were in circulation) I will pay 50 cents for each old $20 you would like to unload.

That was a joke...

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Send me a private message! [​IMG]

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Certainly this applies to the old $100 bills too, right? I'm willing to be generous and pay 20% of the face value. How about that, boyos? Send me your old benjamins and in return you'll get a brand-new $20 bill. They're cooler, AND legal! [​IMG]

8. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I personally find this rather funny. What's sad is there may actually be people out there who may believe ya'll and try to sell their "old" money.

[​IMG]

9. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I used to work in a bank. We allways had this guy who came in to buy all the old 50's and 100's right after they changed the style. He kept thinking that someday he was going to be rich from selling all of them. I dobt he never will be. Although, I do remember at the time, the bank had cleaned out the vaults and sold all the high demominations (the old 500's, 1000's, 5000's, and 10000's)they found at a auction and made like 2 million.

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The US has on occasion prepared paper money that was intended to be dishonored under certain circumstances. I've got one of these "Hawaii dollars" myself. We were so concerned with the Japanese invading and occupying Hawaii during WWII that we issued special currency there marked "Hawaii" all over it. If the Japanese had taken Hawaii the US government would have repudiated all this "Hawaii" marked currency. Similar bills were produced for our troops in North Africa.

[​IMG]

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I love the artwork of the two-dollar-bill. Also, a $2 denomination is very handy. Does Canada still use the denomination?

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

13. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Canada has a $2 coin, so I suppose yes, they do use that denomination.

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Interestingly, we had a 2-dollar bill that was in rather wide circulation, until they came out with the 2-dollar coin, or "Two-nie" (Toonie)

When all of our money was still paper, you couldn't find a two-dollar bill to save your life. But when the "Loonie" (1-dollar coin) replaced the singles, suddenly EVERYONE and their dog had 2-dollar bills. They were everywhere, and very common. Then they came up with the 2-dollar coin.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Canadian Mint to come up with a 5-dollar coin soon. Argh.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

17. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

18. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Up until I read this thread, I had no idea there had ever been $5000 and $10000 bills. I knew about the $500 and $1000 ones, but those two blew my mind. And then I read about the $100000 note, which was only used for bank transfers and was never circulated among the public:

Holy crap [​IMG]

19. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

When I was young I remember a 2-dollar bill, a 50-cent coin, and silver dollars. I haven't seen any of these in years.

With inflation, these denominations would be more useful than ever. Imagine being able to put in a single 2-dollar bill to get a $1.25 bottle of soda from a vending machine, or a 75-cent candy bar with just a 50-cent coin and a quarter, instead of having to practically empty your entire pocket into the machine like you do now.

Of course I'm dating myself by saying I remember when a quarter could actually buy more than a single gumball...

KJP

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Working in my parents' convenience store, we get $2 bills and 50-cent pieces pretty regularly. There are a few businesses that specifically give them out as change, a "trademark" of sorts for their business.

Don't see many $1 coins, though my Mom has a ton of the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins saved somewhere.