What's new

URP! Someone give me some Dramamine! (1 Viewer)

AllenD

Second Unit
I've been playing Half-Life Blue Shift and I'm about to hurl!
smiley_puke.gif
These PC games should be sold with motion sickness meds. Time for a small break, I think...

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I hear ya. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault has made me more than just nauseous this last week. Gotta keep playing though, it's a fantastic game. I just usually play for 20 minutes or so.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Ahh..the agony of playing FPS. Raising the framerate should help ease the "pain". With that said, a whole host of factors will come into play, OpenGL, Direct3D, textures, shadows, etc....anything that might slow down ur fps should be addressed. Also, I've learned that u should try and focus more in the center of the screen rather taking on the scene.

But like some people here say, "Just keep playing and it'll go away." ...Hope this helps though....

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
If you keep playing it WILL go away, it's like getting your sea legs if you've never been boating on a rough sea, actually it's a LOT like that. Your body isn't used to the sensation of motion provided by either the boat, or in this case the game, so it makes you off-balance and queasy. Just like it takes time to get your balance on water, enough gaming should adjust you to the game eventually as your balance readjusts.
Just don't play to the point of hurling :D

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Remember the original Descent? Now THAT could be a nausea-inducing experience. What made you even sicker was your impulse to keep playing despite the motion sickness. :D

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Anybody ever find themselves craining your neck to see around a corner or above you? :D
I always feel like such a dork when I do that. I guess I just get lost in the game.

Dan B

Screenwriter
The Descent series was the only one that really bugged me. Piloting that bobbing ship around in 360 degrees of free nauseous movement.
Rob, that happens all the time. And racing games make you lean to one side when you go through a corner. Your body reacts like you're really in that situation. I found a peculiar thing happening last night as I was playing Rallisport Challenge. Going into corners I was kicking my leg out to one side, the leg opposite the direction I was turning. :D I don't know if it was instinct from my ATV/motorcycle/snowmobile riding days or what. It sure looks silly, though.
-Dan

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Half-Life for the PS2. It kills me b/c I always hear what a great game that this is but I can't get through more then about 10 minutes of it before I start to feel like my lunch will be revisting me.

ChrisV

Second Unit
You know, I've never experienced this phenomenon. Although I have a friend that couldn't play that Dark Forces game back in the day for that very reason. My problem with Descent is that I have a poor sense of direction, so I would get incredibly confused. :b

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Man I've been playing FPS's since Wolf3D, I have never experienced this issue. If you think Half Life is bad, try Quake 3!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a problem with the newer games. I had a problem with the old ones that played in a resolution of 320x whatever. Now I play in 1024x768 or higher and my sick feeling has gone away.

AllenD

Second Unit
I grew up (literally) playing videogames, and never encountered this problem. Thank god.
I envy you.
It's funny that I feel sick myself when I play games cause after my first time fishing on a med/large vessel, I got my sea legs. I haven't taken a dramamine in about 10 years. Maybe I can try the look away method once in a while. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This is what I do...

Let your mouth open a little bit, slump forward, and forget reality. Make your body think you are IN the game and that you are seeing what you really see. Sure, you look like you are hypnotized or dead, but it helps get into the game and not feel queasy.

You could also try sitting closer/farther in distance to the TV. Try playing some 2-D or non-sick-making games before playing the 3-D ones.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Half-Life is the ONLY game that consistently makes me nauseous when I'm playing it. I think the combination of overly-gray textures and overuse of flickering light plus the artificial-sounding sound effects gives me the urge to hurl.

I just can't play this game, whereas I have no trouble with Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Halo, Jedi Knight 2, Dark Forces, Unreal Tournament, Max Payne, etc etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks