What's new

Urgently Need Help - Player does not release disc (1 Viewer)

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVP-C660 5 disc carousel player. I watched a movie and after finishing tried to eject the disc. But all 5 trays come out empty. When I push the tray back in, the movie starts playing again. The disc seems to be stuck inside and plays faultlessly but the player refuses to spit it out. I have had this player for the past 8 months and I have never had this problem before.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get the disc out? Should I try opening the player and check inside? Unfortunately the disc is a rental and I so I can't send it to Sony to fix it. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't had this occur with a DVD player but I have with my Sony CD player. The only solution was to take off the skin and look to see where the disk is and then gently remove it. Don't use force, just take your time and look to see where the disk is and how it is held in place. Also make sure it is NOT PLUGGED IN!

Be careful and good luck.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Roger,

Thanks for the tip. I have done this procedure for VCRs, but I was afraid of taking apart my DVD player because I was afraid that I might screw up the laser alignment or the disc transport while trying to pull the disc out.

Anyway I opened the player and with some difficulty pried the disc out.

The culprit was an invisible layer of extremely sticky goo on top of the rental disc. This made the disc to stick to the top of the player's disc holder (or is it spindle?).

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Just one more reason why I don't rent anymore!

Actually I may rent once or twice every 6 mo. but I wash the disc and make sure there is no goo on it at all!!

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
I have always been a buyer since 1998. But a few months ago I discovered that my public library has DVDs and the rental is free for a week. After 7 days I can renew the rental online for another 7 days. I could renew the disc twice like this. And it is all free. They have an excellent selection including every criterion that has ever been released, including the OOP ones. And there is no limit on the number of discs that you can rent at a time.

It was too good of an offer to pass up. I still do buy a lot of discs, but I have also started renting a lot from the public library. I will just have to remember to check the disc for impurities on the surface the next time.

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Basi,

I'm glad it worked out, if you are careful you shouldn't need to worry about the laser's alignment. I can understand why you use your library, was culprit one of the disks you got from there? If it was the only solution (I'm sure you know this already) is to simply look at the disk before inserting it to see if it is clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks