URGENTLY need file!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jereme D, May 17, 2002.

1. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I'm being attacked by some s.o.b via the mprexe.exe file in my windows/system directory. I'm literally fighting for control of my machine! This person is closing my browser windows as I try to read the fix for the problem! I need a clean copy of this mprexe.exe file from someone.
    Thanks a million.
    Please e-mail to [email protected] ASAP!
    This is exactly why I don't like people......

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Sent you the file...hope it helps.

J

3. Jereme D

Thanks for the file Justin. I got one from someone else also.

Unfortunately, that did not work. My computer is still fighting with me. I tried to find a trojan detection program, but could not find one that works without you having to pay first. Any sugggestions from anyone?

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Format, reinstall Windows from scratch and get ZoneAlarm.

5. Drew Wimmer

Drew Wimmer Stunt Coordinator

well, to start, pull your network connection :p
    then format + reinstall, who knows what other unsavory things are on your system now that someone else has had control of it
    and definitely get a firewall, zonealarm has a free trial i think, and for whatever firewall you get never grant network access to a program unless you know it needs internet access to operate correctly (i.e. if you ahve special software for your mouse, it shouldn't need to access the internet, much less with server permissions, so deny it's request if it prompts you for one [​IMG])

6. Jereme D

I would like to aviod a reformat/reinstall if possible.

The funny thing is that I already have a firewall. The only connections that are listed there are mprexe.exe. I replaced the file with a good one, so that should have taken care of something inside it.

Is it possible that there is some kind of script working against me? I turned off the computer last night when I went to bed. When I got up this morning and turned it on, the 'hacker' was there waiting on me.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

There really is no other way to guarantee a clean computer than wiping the slate clean and starting over.

You have almost certainly run some form of executable file gotten off the net, and it has installed itself somewhere in the bowels of your system. You'll never know you have a clean machine until you zap it and start over.

8. Jereme D

I hate to be such a pest.

It looks like I'm S.O.L. My recovery CD won't work and I can't afford to buy Windows again right now. PC's out of warranty. Perfect.

I've noticed a couple of things about the problem. If I disconnect from the net, it stops, so I've ruled out the possibility of it being an autonomous script on my machine.

The movement of the mouse seems to be random. However, it actually moves to close out windows, so I'm assuming that there is a guiding force across the connection.

I've checked my running process with a program that shows everything and there is nothing out of the ordinary. I also looked at the running processes in my firewall stats and there is nothing out of the ordinary there.

Shouldn't something be showing up somewhere?

Funny..... As I'm typing this message, the rogue mouse activity has stopped. The person is probably logging my keystrokes and reading this message as I type it. Again, great.

Signed

Had it up to 'here' in Georgia.

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

10. Jereme D

Here we go. I've secured a copy of Windows and backed up my work. Time to "do dis thang".

11. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Do the two things you mentioned..SubSeven or Back Orifice...elude anti-virus software or things like Ad-Aware?

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

And don't click on those exe's that you don't know what they are, and keep up to date with your windows security patches. Its very simple to avoid getting a virus. I didn't have any virus protection for about 4 years and never once got hit with anything. Was on the internet all day long also. Either no one likes me or its very easy to just be cautious.

13. Jereme D

It would seem that it wasn't a virus afterall. I reformatted and reinstalled Windows, but the problem was still there. So, I tried a new mouse. Problem gone! I plugged up the rogue unit to another machine, and the problem was there. Go figure...

14. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

That has to be the worst misdiagnosis I've heard in a long time.

15. Jereme D

How was I to know? It behaved like several different trojans that I read about. Since I couldn't find any of the trojans on my computer, I could only assume that one had evolved beyond current descriptions. I've never heard of any mouse problem like this before.

At any rate.... I learned a lot and got a clean install of Windows done, so it wasn't a total loss.