URGENT! Zenith 34" or Panazonic 47"

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan_P, May 29, 2005.

1. Bryan_P

Bryan_P Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to help my friend buy an HDTV on a ~$1000 budget. Both of these TVs are on sale at Ultimate Electronics, the Zenith for about $1100, the Panny for about $1000.

Panny

Zenith

Frankly, the Panny didn't look great and had some glare issues, and it also seemed the viewing angle was somewhat unforgiving. That said, many people here seem to think it's a decent TV for the price.

As for the Zenith, we know virtually nothing about it, but it seems to be marked down quite a bit and has a built-in tuner, which is nice because he won't be getting cable or satellite. The TV will also be in an apartment, so while the 47" would be nice, the 34" would do.

Please help!

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

With some ISF calibration, the Panny I bet will look almost as good as the Zenith. For me..., size matters here, the Panny is a good t.v. and I can't see choosing a 34 inch t.v. over a 47 inch t.v. Just me.

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Go for the Panny. You can always remove the glare screen. I don't regret ISF'd my Panny.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Much easier to over power your image with sound when your image is 34".

The Panasonic also has more resolution capability compared to the Zenith. The RP set can likely show up to 1.2 million pixels of a 1080 signal compared to 800K for the tube set.

Regards