*URGENT* Toshiba WS TV advice needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettisMckinney, Jan 8, 2003.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Hi guys. Tomorrow i am ordering a 76cm Toshiba WS TV. I am ordering it through a friend and i havnt seen it yet. All i know is that it is Flat screen, 100 hz flicker free,component input and yeah, 76 cm. Now before i put the order in i would love some comments on how these tv's usually perform. The only sets i've looked at in stores are LG, Phillips and sony and they look very nice. So my thinking is that the Toshiba should be very good too. Its worth about $3800 australian. Alot!..for me anyway.

So yeah, if anyone can chime and say anything about Toshiba ws tv's that would be great! thanks

2. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba's are great. Ive been considering a RPTV for a long time now and I was comparing panasonic and Toshiba's... and to me the pansonic look just like the JVCs and others.. Toshiba is a really player and they make great tv's im looking at the HDX model my self... Even the guys at my store said that They don't push pansonic as much any more because they don't seem to have the same picture quality.

not to offend any panasonic owners out there

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Pros and cons abound regarding any brand, but Toshiba is definitely a top contender and I love mine.
    Jan

4. BrettisMckinney

Cool, thanks. I think i'll be a very happy camper!

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    RE: the Panny thing, I don't know. But if I were a store owner or salesperson, I would also prefer to push the TVs that will make me more $$$. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I'm guessing Brettis(?) is talking about a direct-view WS, not an RPTV, since 76cm = ~30in.
    Brettis, are you getting a PAL TV for some place in Europe? If so, you might want to make that distinction since most HTFers seem to use NTSC TVs in the US and Canada. The tubes will be different and might well be manufactured by different companies. Apparently, most TV makers do NOT manufacture their own tubes, but OEM them from a select few tube makers, who may also be TV makers themselves. Hitachi and Thomson/RCA are 2 major players in tube manufacturing.
    Also, I'd think the TV designs and overall production will generally be different between American/Canadian and European or Far East markets. For example, a Sony TV for the American market is usually not gonna be made in Japan, but rather in Mexico or Malaysia or the like. So seems that Sony TVs here in the US have gotten worse and worse quality control (or plain manufacturing) over the years. But if you buy a Sony TV made in Japan, it's probably much more reliable.
    Just somethings to consider...
    _Man_

6. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

True but I've known the guy for a long time now. I used to work there, I brought it up and he confirmed it.. THe RCA and the JVC in future shop looked like the panny.. or I guess the panny looked like the rca and jvc.. [​IMG]

7. BrettisMckinney

Yeah sorry guys, im in australia so it will be PAL. From what i've seen, the panasonic,sony and hitachi WS have been around $2500-$2900 australian, and the Toshiba is retailed at $3800. I'm getting a very good price on it as it was a display unit(still get warranty etc) so im hoping it will be everything i want. I'm getting it for around $2200 and a 66cm without flat and 100hz is usually $1600, so i figured i might as well go the extra hog and get the best i can get. Cant wait to see it. My first WS TV.

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Brettis,

I don't know anything about the TVs made for Australia, so can't help you much, if any. However, you did mention you're buying a display model.

Well, that's probably not a good idea unless you're sure it hasn't been abused or overused. I don't know how Australian stores (and that store in particular) and customers treat display models, but they definitely are not well taken care of here in the US, except for some specialty stores. Display models tend to get run down pretty badly w/ the sets in torch mode, ie. 100% contrast w/ bluish color temperature, etc. all day long for 7 days/week. Granted, tube TVs are not as susceptible to phosphor damage as RPTVs, but still.

If I were spending that much $$$, I would not want to take the risk w/ a display model. Maybe if it were high-end audio equipment at a specialty store, that would be different, but not a TV for the most part...

_Man_

9. BrettisMckinney

That is my only worry. ALl im going on is that my friend got one from the same guy who does it, and he got a Tosh rear projection which was in great knick and image looks fine. Wholly agree about spending that much and the risk. He did say that it has 12 month warranty though, so if it has problems i guess i can take it back. Its just too hard to pass up on a set worth that much for that price.
    So if they had been running the tv 24/7 would that wear out tubes and make the image worse? I really am wanting this tv to last me for years because it took me a year to save up this much cash!
    I just found a site that has the model so you can check it out - swweeet

10. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    One thing I would do is set it up so that you have a blue screen. Then go over the picture with a fine toothed comb for any signs of burn in. That would be what looks like numbers or station logos, like little ghost images. Anything like that.

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Might also try a white screen, but don't keep it on too long.

Also, find out exactly how long the TV's been on display AND how much use the store typically has for such TVs on a daily basis. Also, find out if the TVs are normally set at high contrast. If it's been on display at 100% contrast for a whole year at 12-14 hours/day, that could easily translate to 5-6 years of normal usage(!) at 50% contrast even if there's no sign of burn-in.

_Man_

12. BrettisMckinney

damn! Yes, i will definately ask some questions. I held off ordering it for a day or 2 and im glad i did. I also just got a catalogue for an LG 76 ws flatscreen, with pretty much same features..100hz,component etc. And it is $2500 down from $2999. So in retail, it works out that its worth about $800 less than the Tosh. Now i do like LG tv, think they look fine, so im wondering if its safer to just pay the extra $300 and get a brand new one of those. Do you think that you would notice a big difference in pq from the Tosh to LG? Not sure if they are over in america so you might'nt have heard of them. They are usually about $200-$300 less than sony tv's over here.

The tosh has all these fancy features like, Digital comb filter(which the lg has), super scene control, super real transient, color detail enhancer, dynamic scan control,digital NR, widescreen signalling. Dont have a clue what most of this is, but it is what the main diff between it and LG.

13. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Well, figure. You watch TV for x-many hours a day. Now compare that with a display unit that's been on for, oh, 12 hours a day. So each day it's been on display = how many days of your own use. A year's worth of store use could equal several years of "normal" use.

Check for burn-in, definitely. Burn-in is irreparable.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if it looks good and you save a bunch of money, a demo might work out okay financially.

Just consider that a store display with six months' use could equal two or three or four years' worth of "normal" use, and the price should reflect that.

Jan

14. BrettisMckinney

Ok, went new TV shopping yesterday and bought in 2 dvd's that i thought had awesome pq and diff ratios. LOTR and Toy story 2. The sets i tried them on were, LG,Samsung and Phillips. Now one things got me screwed, the PQ was nowhere near as sharp or clear as my 68cm 4:3!! Now is it just because it is soo large and you notice more flaws? It just looks plain crap.
    I played around with the settings,contrast etc but couldnt get anything that looks even as good colour wise as a 51cm! Now the conditions of the shop were this, they had flurescent lights all around the place(which made the remotes not work well) and they were hooked up with composite. Which my smaller teles have been anyway. Will they look much better when i get it home? I hope so. I still want it of course, coz damn its large!

THe image sort of looked like it was going slower or something, couldnt get a real black, and the colour was too much kinda. Anyway, definately holding off on the Tosh until i find out all i can about it. Coz if something stuffs up in 6 months im probably up shit creek.