What's new

Urgent Placement Question (1 Viewer)

Alexander-G

Agent
I am moving to a new apartment and will need to set up my home theater system again (H/K AVR 320, JBL NSP N24 speaker set, Sony SA WM40 sub).

I have two desparate questions about speaker placement.

1. The sub. In my current apartment the sub sits to the right of the couch and I like it there just fine. For the new place, a designer has sketched out plans for a bookcase that would hold the TV and would contain a cabinet at the bottom which would contain the subwoofer and which would have some sort of acoustic paneling at the front to let sound out. It looks really nice, but I have the following concerns: (1) the subwoofer would be enclosed in a wooden bookshelf, (2) the subwoofer would not directly be touching the floor; and (3) the subwoofer would be near the TV. Are these problems, or is it possible that this setup will not degrade sound quality?

This question is very urgent for me b/c it’s not too late for me to request changes to the design. I am particularly looking for solutions that will let me hide the subwoofer from view.

2. Rear speaksers. I will need to mount my rear speakers on the wall directly behind the couch (i.e. the back of the couch will be up against the wall.) I don’t think I will have the luxury of being able to test out a lot of different heights and positions. Are there standard measurements I can use (e.g. the rear speakers should X amount of inches above the floor) that I can pretty much expect to be ok?

Many thanks in advance!
Alex

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Coupla quick pointers:

1) Isolate the sub from the cabinet for vibration. Perhaps a set of 4 Vibrapods underneath the sub (remove its stock feet) would do nicely.

2) The rears can go anywhere from ear height up to the ceiling. But don't mount them TOO close to the ceiling (probably no more than 18") or you'll get some nasty reflections. IIRC, the N24s have integral mounting brackets so you can mount them a little higher, then aim them down and in towards your listening position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks