What's new

URGENT: Pioneer 49TX - Heat and my custom cabinet...? (Rajeek?) (1 Viewer)

Rich H

Second Unit
Hi,

I have very little time to get some info from you helpful folk.

I know from a previous thread that the Pioneer 49TX receiver puts out a good deal of heat(I will be receiving the 49TX soon to use in my new home theater).

I'm having an A/V rack custom built and it is currently in the design stage. Because the rack is approx. 50" tall, holding 7 pieces of gear, I currently have a fixed shelf sited midway up the unit for the very heavy 49TX. The shelf for the next component above the 49TX is only about 1 1/2" above the 49TX.

The back of the cabinet is entirely ventilated - using wire mesh. ONE side of the cabinet will have ventilation slots as well.

My question: is this enough to cope with the heat ventilation needs of the 49TX? Or do I absolutely have to

incorporate a fan somewhere? Or move the 49TX to the top shelf and put vent slots on the top of the cabinet (which makes me a little nervous about putting the heaviest unit at the top shelf). (I do not wish to put a fan on the top of the cabinet).

Any ideas before I get this expensive thing built?

Thanks very much.

Rich H.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I have my pioneer dv-38a sitting directly on top of my vsx-49tx (no rack)and there's on 17mm of space between the two and I haven't had any problem with over heating even though it does run hot to the touch, I'm guessing the temp is about 140 degrees. Haven't had any shut down probs or electrical fires. Some people buy small fans from radio shack and install them to suck the heat out of the 49tx. Hopefully someone will chime in to help you out with specific fan information. But if I were you I wouldn't worry it's not that dangerous, I'm sure I would've read all kinds of posts by now saying the 49tx runs TOO HOT but I haven't.

Daniel Smith

RajeeK

Second Unit
Hello there Rich H,

Well considering your measurements, I would try to incorporate a fan into your system. The 49TX does get hot with extended use. Even though I still have additional amps my 49TX is still very hot to the touch after many hours of use. Pioneer recommends 8" of clearance for the 49TX, which you clearly don't have. Therefore, I would suggest a fan. Now just because you may have a fan, noise should not be an issue if you do it right. Depending on the build quality of your unit, you may be ok about putting it on top, but as I said you need strong unit. Aesthitics wise, a fan sitting on top looks ugly also, so I understand your reservation.

This is one heavy mofo, not to mention with so many components the weight adds up fast. One suggestion I may have is to make a small circular custom cut out in the back of the wire mesh you have, just above the 49TX with it sitting on the middle shelf. You can easily do this with a dremel tool and circular cutting wheels. If you make a circular cut, the fan can be mounted to the mesh with 4 screws on the sides of the fan. You can choose to have the fan draw heat out of the unit or as a blower and blow air into the cabinet for cooling. Using an adjustable voltage adaptor you can adjust fan speed to your liking also taking into consideration the noise factor until you reach a happy medium. You would basically be doing the same thing I did above my reciever but cutting into the mesh and mounting it. You only need two radio shack parts (fan and voltage adaptor). Then solder the wires together and set your speed. See my theater site below for radio shack sku#'s so you know exactly what to buy.

If you possibly have pictures of the unit, I could put my imagination to work and think of alternatives also.

What do ya think?

RajeeK

Second Unit
I have my pioneer dv-38a sitting directly on top of my vsx-49tx (no rack)and there's on 17mm of space between the two and I haven't had any problem with over heating even though it does run hot to the touch, I'm guessing the temp is about 140 degrees.
Yikes, not sure I would recommend that. Sounds like you may be asking for trouble in the future. Also, excessive heat is the enemy of the electronic components in the 49TX. You may very well be decreasing the lifespan of your unit with such poor ventilation. Just a suggestion.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. I might do this temporarily as well - just until Monday until i get my real rack. I felt my 49TX tonight - I definitely would not leave something on top of it for long term. I feel that it would definitely cause a problem.

Rich H

Second Unit
Whoops, I should ask Rajeek:

Did you buy one of those "whisper quiet" fans made for low noise levels? Do you find the fan to be quiet enough for you?

Thanks,

(Won't be able to answer back - I'm off on vacation now...while my cabinet is being built).

Rich.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Rich H,

Ya the fan is quiet enough. I can't hear it at all about 1 foot away an even if you stick my ear right up to it, it is still very quiet. Good luck.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jim, a fan should suck hot air away from an electrical device. Never blow air into one (which is why computers' fans suck air out) for various reasons such as introducing dust/particles/etc as well as static electric build up I believe.

I don't own this particular Pioneer but for general reference, Pioneer recommends 8 inches of clearance for all their receivers - as far as I can tell.

cheers,

--tom

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
thanks tom... the problem I am having with mine is not the a/v reciever.. its the dss reciever.. in the cabinate is the onkyo 600 and on a shelf about 10 " above it is the rca dss. from the top of the rca to the cabinate top is about 5 inches.. i have a 4.5" fan mounted to the back wall (3 inches from the top - wanted part of the fan to blow the air out from under the shelf) and it exhausts the air out.. the onkyo itself gets warm, no big deal, becasue it is no where near hot.. the rca on the other hand is hot enough to fry an egg.. in turn it heats up the ambient temp of the surrounding air. (do not know how much becasue I have yet to stick a thermometer in there to measure) anyway.. what would be the best way to cool the rca down as well? The fan is switched by the onkyo.. so overnight things get really hot (ambient temp) and temp of the rca case.. I was thinking of leaving the fan on 24/7 .. or wiring a second fan into the 12v acdc adapter and placing it on the rca dss.. can you wire two fans off of 1 ac dc adapter?

thanks for any advice you can give!

jim

RajeeK

Second Unit
Is your fan sucking air out of the Pioneer or blowing air onto the unit?
Ya, mine is sucking air out. I would try to avoid blowing air into the unit unless there is a reason to. It will just get the unit nice a dirty over a few weeks with the dust it picks up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks