URGENT!! Onkyo vs H/K (~$500)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Geordy, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

Ok, so I am going to the Nebraska Furniture Mart on Friday (I'm a Berkshire-Hathaway share-holder) and I will be getting a great deal on electronics.

The brands of receivers that they carry include Onkyo and H/K (among others).

I am currently using a Denon AVR-2700, and I love it, but I have a couple reservations.
    1) I am concerned that my new speakers (Polk RM7600) have a higher cutoff than the one pre-programmed into my reciever (80 hz). Do some of the newer receivers allow you to adjust this (or am I just worrying about nothing?)
    2) I want component switching (and if possible 6.1 and DPL II)

The room I will be filling is ~250 sq ft. I also have an SVS powered by a samson amp.

Please reply soon. I leave in 36 hrs for Omaha.

2. NickGL

NickGL Agent

i was considering onkyo (and Integra), denon, yamaha, HK for my new ~$500 receiver, but i have come to realize that for my money the Marantz SR5400 is the best sounding receiver, and isn't lacking in the least of features (the next closest for sound quality was the Integra, but it doesn't offer pre-outs for any channel but subwoofer, and it only uses 192/24 DACs for the front 2 channels)

3. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

Let's make it easy:

Will the Onkyo TX-SR601 or the H/K AVR-330 do what I want?

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    They both will. Each has PLII and component switching. The 601 is 80 X 6 and the H/K is 55 X 7. Don't let the 55 wpc worry you. I have never heard anyone complain about H/K's power output. They both also have bass management (as do most all new receivers) so you can set the crossover higher if you need to. I vote for the 330 if you are collecting opinions (I love helping others spend their money [​IMG] ).

5. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Yes, don't be worried about the H/K's 55w X 7. Be more worried about the Onkyo's 80w X 6. The Onkyo's 80W x 6 is probably only about 60-65w X 6. LOL.

6. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I have a H/K receiver and love it.
    Sounds great with both music and movies.

Just my opinion [​IMG]

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Sound and Vision tested the 601's little brother, the 501. Results:

Output @ clipping (8/4 Ohms), 1 channel: 124/183 W
    Output @ clipping (8/4), 5 channels: 77W (short-term measurement, 47 W after 1 second)

Reference: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...7200314244.pdf

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I have both an H/K (520) and an Onkyo (ht-500) and love them both. As for magazine/internet articles, while helpfull, it depends on which one you read. I've read both good and bad about Onkyo (and others) so I go to the store and crank them up and let my ears be the judge [​IMG] .

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

gene:

I completely agree. Specs are numbers. Let your ears decide. I'm sure the Onk puts out sufficient real-world power for the typical user.

Rock on. [​IMG]

10. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

they also sell pioneer there, what are your opinions on the VSX-D814K?

11. Matt Baldwin

Matt Baldwin Auditioning

I have a Yamaha 5660 and love it! Which is now the 5760 and 5790. I was also looking at both HK and Onkyo. Onkyo 601 has an on screen menu which is nice. Both Onkyo and HK should have all the options you need along with plenty of power. Marantz is also a very nice choice I have only heard good things.

12. Matt Baldwin

Matt Baldwin Auditioning

I have a Yamaha 5660 and love it! Which is now the 5760 and 5790. I was also looking at both HK and Onkyo. Onkyo 601 has an on screen menu which is nice. Both Onkyo and HK should have all the options you need along with plenty of power. Marantz is also a very nice choice I have only heard good things.
    I have owned Pioneer for a while, they are nice recievers but they don't seem to have the rich sound like some of the Denons and Onkyos. Best thing two do is to find 2-3 recievers you like make a comparison chart, and then narrow it down, and of course if you can listen to them all the better.

13. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

****UPDATE*****

I ended up getting the H/K AVR-330 at Nebraska Furniture Mart for a great price (as low as can be found on the web and still from authorized dealer).

Thanks for all your help!!! I can't wait to try it out in NYC in 6 weeks.