What's new

URGENT: new tempest and AVA250 won't work (1 Viewer)

zane

Stunt Coordinator
ok i got my tempest and AVA250, I hooked up the two voice coils in parallel + to + and - to -, then i hooked up the amp to one of the coils but i have no output, I used a rhino cable and hooked it up the R input on the line input, i turned on the amp and put the other power switch on auto, during bass scenes the red standby light turns green so I suppose its getting a signal, I also put a speaker wire up to the posts on the sub and it works like that but not with the amp, I've got it on low pass filter at about 100hz and 90 degree phase shift and max volume any ideas why its not working

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well the slap yourself checks are make sure you plug into the in and not the out on the amp. Make sure you are in the sub pre out and not the sub input of the 6ch input. Make sure mains are set to small and sub is set to yes on the receiver (and while you are at it crank the crossover dial on the amp as high as it will go; don't want to use it when the receiver is handling the crossover). Also try a different cable or try your cable on something different and make sure it isn't the problem.

If all those are fine then you need to get to some more technical trouble shooting (others here are better suited to that). Good news is if the amp and sub work with the high level inputs then at least you know the the driver and enclosure are fine and the only thing that can be broken on the amp are the low level inputs.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
no the high level in's don't work i just touched the voice coil posts with the speaker wire that runs to the main speaker and it worked, I did that just to make sure the sub isn't defective, i checked my wiring from the amp to the one voice coil, I can't check the parallel wiring cause I don't wanna take the sub out but i'm 99.99 percent sure i wired it right, I checked the sub is turned on in the receiver and i'm running the sub out to the low level line in on the amp, i have defeated the internal crossover of the amp and let the receiver do its work, at this point i don't see how it couldn't be the amp's fault, i'm thinking about taking it to a local audio shop and see if they'll test if for me

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
hmm, then my next suggestions are to try and drive one of your other speakers with the plate amp. And even though you don't want to I'd double check the voice coil wiring (and also try driving only one vc at a time with the plate amp).

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Hope you don't take offense to this, but you do know the proper wires to run from the amp to the sub, yes? It's the wires on the 'component' side of the amp, not wires that you attach to the 'high level' outputs. Just making sure.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Zane,
Why not hook the amp up to one of your main speakers to make sure you're getting some output there? Just make sure you have the volume control turned down so you don't damage your speaker.
EDIT: Dammit, Dustin beat me to it! :)
BTW, why are you unwilling to pull the driver? There is that .01% chance than you have the voice coils wired out of phase. It's not like it's a big chore or anything.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
the reason i'd rather not take the drive out is because i used wood screws, plus i can see the on coil so the only other way i could have wired it up on accident would be in series which should work anyway, I'm definately gonna try hooking the amp into one of my CS tower II's but I gotta go somewhere today so I"m gonna try it sunday, and also there's only one set of wires coming out from the back of the amp, thanks for the ideas

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't matter what type of screws you used. As long as you're not taking the driver out every other day you should be fine.
Also, it's still possible that the VC's are wired out of phase. I know someone else that couldn't get their sub to work and found out that they didn't strip the wire enough and wasn't making contact with the terminals.
Every single connection should be checked.

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
......."i have defeated the internal crossover of the amp and let the receiver do its work,..."

What does this mean exactly? Did you just flip a switch or did you actually make mods to the AVA250?

Brett

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Yep, just a switch, Adire made the modification a while ago adding a switch to defeat the crossover on the AVA250. Wish mine had it :frowning:

zane

Stunt Coordinator
ok guys i got back from the thing I had to go to and I just got done testing the amp and I"m afraid its not looking good, I set the amp on auto on and hooked up my left main speaker wire into the high level input and then hooked up the amp to the left main tower at 90 degree phase and half volume with the amp running full range with the crossover defeated and I get NOTHING from the speaker at all not even static or background hiss, it appears the amp is getting a signal since when set to auto the amp light turns green when i play a dvd but its just not amplifying the signal to the sub or speaker, I guess its just plain F'ed up, I guess I'm just gonna get it replaced.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
how could it be the fuse since its got power and the power light comes on

zane

Stunt Coordinator
i checked the fuse and it looks ok, it doesn't have a break in the wire

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks