URGENT: Need help with WS vs. P&S comparison

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulP, Dec 3, 2002.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

A co-worker approached me today and asked for help with her son's school project. He needs to present on Monday a "persuasive speech" on any topic. She asked me if I had any ideas, and the first thing that popped into my mind was "benifits of widescreen". Since they don't even own a VCR, it was a little tough explaining the whole thing to her, but she understood. Now the help I need is in widescreen vs. pan-and-scan comparisons. I figure they'll need about 4. The thing is that I have several DVDs with both WS and P&S versions, but none that would really appeal to 14-year-old, which is the target audience here. I have Men in Black II and Spider-Man, but, obviously, only widescreen editions. The examples I found on various pro-widescreen sites were of low-to-good quality, (but nothing large and high-quality fit for printing out and presenting to class) and were mostly taken from films teenagers never heard of. So if anyone can help me out with a few comparisons from recent blockbuster movies, that'd be highly welcome. Remember, these are the future DVD-buyers! We must influence them whilst they're still young and gullible [​IMG] Oh and if possible, preferably these would be captures from 2.35:1 films that were really panned-and-scanned, and not oppen-matte or Super35. I realize most of you are like me: why would you have full screen editions of movies, but maybe...

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I can't beleive no one has responded to this yet. It has been a while. Anyways, to answer your question, there are some pretty decent comparison shots of Star Wars comparison shots on the Star Wars web site. Also, John Berger has some screen caps of Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, and other action movies on his site.
    http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/f...925/index.html
    http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml
    If your looking for more, go to my site, widescreenadvocate.org, and click on what is widescreen.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yes, thanks guys, but I've been to these sites before, and noted in my original post that I was looking for large, high-quality captures, so as to print them out. Perhaps large enough to fit a WS and P&S images one under another on a sheet of paper. And preferably from very recent films. The Star Wars pictures are good, but not really large enough. I have several DVDs with WS and P&S versions on them, but like I said they're mostly "older" films. I'll do one or two of those, but I'd still like to get some shots from some recent new releases that were released in dual editions (Goldmember, MIB2, Spider-Man, Eight Legged Freaks, Mr. Deeds, etc.). Thanks a lot!

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Malcolm, thanks a ton for that link! While not the size and quality I am seeking, the comparisons themselves, as you say, are very dramatic! Muchly appreciated.