*Urgent* Help needed - I'm kinda lost!

scholty

Auditioning
Real Name
Dieter
Hi All,

From reading this forum I have come to admire the collective knowledge on this bulletin board so I would like to ask the "pro's" some questions if I may.

My wife and I are converting our Garage into a room in our house to double as office, guestroom (sleepersofa) and home entertainment area
here in Arlington, Texas. Basically off limits to the kids EXCEPT to watch movies.

Our contractors are going to put up sheet rock within the next week so I have VERY little time to decide on wiring etc. (I'm pulling Cat6 for computer stuff tomorrow morning).

I have attached a pic of the layout here:

Here are the things I would like:
Watch whatever output is on the TV Screen on a little flip down monitor in the office area.
Send whatever I am doing on the PC in the office area to the TV
Hook up XBOX360, DVD, VCR, MediaPC to TV

Questions:
I am seesawing between the Yamaha HTR-5950BL 6.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver and the Sony STR-DG800 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver with HDMI Passthrough but can not make up my mind. Which one will be able to better support me in my endeavor?
Currently I have about a $1000 to spend on speakers. Should I go with In-Wall (which the wife likes cause its cleaner) or regular speakers and which ones are best? (Currently looking at Klipsch)
Most important question right now: Which wires do I need to run to do what I want to do depending on the receiver I get? (Or is there a better receiver at the $300-400 ranger that will do what I want?)
What things do you think I should watch out for and maybe pre-wire for future use?
Should I put soundproof matts into the walls and if yes what kind?
Anything else I'm forgetting? What can you think of that would be cool as hell but INEXPENSIVE to do?

Any and all help is appreciated since at this point I am kinda lost and have a limited time to make a decision.

Budget is about $1000 for speakers, $300-400 for receiver, TV prolly around $2,000 HDTV, and a couple bucks here and there for wiring and stuff...

This is my one chance to do a project like this over the next couple of years (got another child on the way ) so I want to do it right with room to grow.

THANK YOU for reading this far and helping me out!

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Wow, lots to think about...

1) Receiver, the Yamaha is decent and you might want to consider the Pioneer 1016. Never seen the Sony to give an opinion.

2) For wiring, I'm a big fan of embedding the largest diameter conduit tubing (PVC Pipes) in the walls/ceiling for future wiring requirements/changes. You have a unique opportunity to do this before the drywall is installed! This makes fishing wire in the future much easier. In my case, I have access plates to the tubing near corners to make the job easier.

3) Speaker. In-walls will be more expensive but there are some good ones out there... Harder to do future upgrades.

4) TV... You could save money here and get a bigger image by getting a projector and building a DIY screen and take the savings here and pump them into your speakers or receiver.

scholty

Auditioning
Real Name
Dieter
Thanks for the reply John.

1.) I saw the Yamaha at Fry's this morning and think I'm going to go with that one. Still not a 100% sure yet though... go figure

2.) Will ad the PVC pipes with a fishing wire. Am going to use spray foam to close the endings shut and keep the critters out.

3.) Yeah, that's what bothers me the most about in-walls. Any suggestions on a great speaker system for under $1000?

4.) Am going to wait on the TV until Christmas time and try to snatch a good deal. My main concern right now are wiring, speakers and A/V receiver. TV prices are dropping fast and are easily switched.

Am reading the Home Theater for Dummies book today and am finding some good suggestions.

Any more suggestions? What would you do if it where you?

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
You could "make" several good speakers for that kind of money. Lots of good kits available.

Frank

scholty

Auditioning
Real Name
Dieter
Make them??? Hmnn.. how?

What do you all think about the SVS SBS-01 Series? Would a 10 be good enough or should I shell out the extra $150 for the 12? My room is about 425 sq ft with an 8x8 area to the side (my office area).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
* I would buy the Yamaha.

* Buy some small good quality speakers that can be wall-mounted. Unless you never plan on moving your furniture, in-walls could be a major hassle.

FYI: try to mount your speakers level with your monitor. A/V magazine photographers may think it looks cool to have speakers near the ceiling, 5ft away from the TV, but that takes away from the believability/accuracy of the HT experience.

Some examples: I don't much like recommending such tiny satellites as these but I get the feeling the WAF is involved here.
Personally I feel better with something with at least a 5.25" woofer, particularly if music will be played a lot (if this was *just* for music, bump that up to a 6.5" woofer).

Boston Acoustics CR57 white or black; around $160-180 per pair.

Infinity TSS-SAT1100 @$300 per pair (Circuit City is clearancing all their Infinity stock - price should be lots cheaper there)

Orb Audio inconspicous but still cool looking, not pricey and get good reviews

HTD 5.1 Micros these are probably too small but I just think they very kewl
; this is a brand originally created by some former B&W engineers (I first saw them at Target of all places)

* Room treatments: (my opinion is based on music playback so those that have HT experience with this issue, correct me if this is irrelevant for movie soundtracks) pretty much all good quality speakers are designed with the "average" living room in mind, so unless you have a bare floor and are using lawn furniture for your couches & chairs
I wouldn't worry too much about this. There is a hi-end HT store here with SO much sound deadening material in one of their rooms, sitting in there it felt like I stuck my head in a box of cotton - it was very unnatural sounding and after 10 minutes I actually felt rather claustrophobic (a feeling I don't ever normally experience).

scholty

Auditioning
Real Name
Dieter
The Yamaha it is...

I'll look into the recommended speakers. Have you heard the SVR SBS-01 set? Do they really sound better then anything else? Guess from reading all the reviews here I've gotten curious...

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Too bad your way down in Texas as I have the SVS SBS-01 w/PB 10 for a 13x15 room and they rock especially for the price. I bought mine from thier b-stock section (100 dollars less) so the total with shipping was 1000.60. I'll second the projector idea as there are so many more pros for the price than a tv. I have the Sanyo Z4 which has free shipping, free extra bulb and free screen for 1495.00 over at B&H here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Of course the Z5 just came out and has a 200 rebate which brings the price down to be almost the same as the Z4.

Or the Panasonic AU900 for a pj. Just my .02 but have fun!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo