URGENT: any cheap receivers for 4 ohm speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chess Martin, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

asking for a friend who just picked up a panasonic receiver hoping to run his old JBL mains, which are 4 ohm. suffice it to say that it didn't work...overloaded the amps.

i think he's getting disgruntled and even brought up the bose 3-2-1 system this morning...though i doubt he'd actually do it...especially at that price. he's more likely to buy a cheap sat/sub system.

anyway, i'm trying to get him to be patient since his speakers sound like they are decent, plus he has decent surrounds, but i'm not having any luck finding a low priced $250-$400 receiver that will handle a 4 ohm load.

he has JBL N24 surrounds and an 8 ohm JBL center, should i just tell him to buy new mains, or is there a receiver that will handle the load that he can trade his panasonic for?

i'll be continuing my search, just hoped you guys might know something i don't.

2. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

All of Sony's receivers have 4 or 8 ohm switchable amps. When switched to 4 ohm mode, the power supply delivers less voltage, with more current, exactly what it needed for a lower impedance load. (Some of the very low-end stuff may not have the 4/8 ohm switch, but you will want to stay away from it for other reasons).

Take a close look at Sony's ES line (the 1ES or 2ES may fit your price range) or their DB line. Stay far far away from any Sony receiver with "DE" in the model number.

3. Peter Donovan

Maybe you could find a used NAD receiver (new ones may be out of your price range). They will run a 4 ohm speaker without any loss in sound quality.

4. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Outlaw 1050...

5. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

i don't suspect i could get him to buy a sony above the DE line...and looking at the backs of the DEs, i don't see an impedence selector.

doubt he'd want to deal with seperates either.

Outlaw is out of his price range as well.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

if he could up his budget a wee bit this Denon 2802 should do it. I had a Denon 3300 running 4 ohm maggies so the 2802 should be similar.

7. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

There's an Outlaw 1050 for sale over at the Outlaw Saloon for $400 right now.

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

All the Yamaha's have the 4-8ohm switch. Pick up the cheapest one available. Best Buy has the HTR-5540 for $299.

9. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

I would look into Harman/Kardon receivers. If your friend is willing to buy refurbished, the AVR 120 can be purchased for $200 directly from Harman/Kardon HERE. The AVR-310 can be found for $350 using the same link.
    HK receivers will work with most 4-ohm speakers, as stated in HK's FAQ HERE. I would contact the manufacturer to ask about the specific JBL speakers; they should be able to tell you a definitive answer, considering the very close ties between the two companies.
    I hope this helps! [​IMG]

10. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

They all work OK with 4 ohm speakers as long as the speakers are reasonably efficent. Ignore the impedance switch - at the lower impedance setting, it degrades the sound.

11. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

Jim_C.

after looking at the backs of the receivers on crutchfield.com (which i listed by price), i noticed the switch on that very same Yamaha and pointed my friend in that direction. he went to look at Sears last night hoping to match an online price. he's not in yet this morning, so i don't know how it worked out...

thanks fellas.

-chess

12. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Just ignore the impedance switches. They are a liability if anything.

13. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

he ended up getting a Yamaha HTiB...looks like the same receiver though.

he's going to try the 4 ohm speakers and see how they work with the Yamaha. if they don't work out, he has the small yamahas to use as mains.

the sub/sat system will probably be fine for him since he's not that demanding, and it does come with a decent receiver.

but the sub looks a little too "bose-like" for my taste. looks like one of those smoke and mirrors base reflex jobs that make a noise resembling bass...but very little actual bass. but i haven't heard it, so i reserve judgement.

anyway, we'll see how it works out.

-chess