"Urban Cowboy" Reviews, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Stunt Coordinator

Seems like all the big 70's-80's Paramount musicals have been reviewed save for this underrated gem...

Anybody have a look see that can report back?

Jeffrey

2. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I cant wait to finally watch it in widescreen and with good audio.

3. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Finally found a review @ DVD Movie Central. Aside from mentioning the "sappy" story, its only positive.
    However, you may not want to take this review at face value. Reviewer, Gordon Justesen, praises Paramount's transfer for both "SNF" & "Grease" DVD. We all know from reviews here that "Grease" has only been dinged.
    Anyone find other reviews yet? I am amazed that reviewers have been slow to comment on this one.
    http://www.dvdmoviecentral.com/Revie...ban_cowboy.htm

4. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Well, I wouldn't necessarily agree with the reviewer on the video aspect. I mean, its always looked crappy and soft on cable just like SNF has, but after watching both SNF and UC this past week, I would have to say SNF looks a lot better (I agree with Ron Epstein's review) while UC doesnt really look all that great.

But then again, a lot of scenes take place in the dusty, dirty, low lit honky-tonk heaven that was Gilley's.

On the plus side, the audio sounds really great. I didnt think much about the "newly remastered..." sticker on the outside of the package but boy, Paramount really did do a nice job on that audio. Watching the DVD version, it really strikes you on how much impact the soundtrack had as a feature film presentation (as opposed to USA late night).

At any rate, its nice to have and with Grease, SNF and the collector's edition of Pulp Fiction released all within about 1 month of each other, I have had my fill of John Travolta.

:wink:

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The image on the DVD of Urban Cowboy is generally an excellent representation of what the film looked like in theaters. It's also a substantial improvement on Paramount's widescreen LD, which, though good, suffered from noticeable video noise. Any "softness" in the image is by design, in keeping with the muted color scheme and dusty textures. Fans of the film should be more than satisfied with this presentation.

M.