What's new

Upwards facing surround speakers? (1 Viewer)

TarekZE

Auditioning
I have an Integra DTR-8.2 receiver, B&W CM4 fronts, B&W CMC center and Velodyne SPL-1000 sub located in my relatively small living room/home theater room. I've been kicking around various ideas for surround speakers for a while now, ranging from wall-mounted micro-speakers to in-walls, but haven't been very enthusiastic about the potential deficiencies of either solution.
I was just reading on Dolby's website and the downloadable (PDF file) Crutchfield Guide to Home Theater, where they present the option of placing stand-mounted bookshelf-sized speakers facing UPWARDS behind the main viewing position (a loveseat, in my case). The Crutchfield guide maintains that this is a much better option in small rooms than in-wall or in-ceiling speakers, or where it isn't possible to place surround speakers on the sides.
Has anyone tried this or have any opinion on this technique? After considering all the other (limited) options for my small room, here's finally a surround placement solution that I think I can be happy with. If I do go through with this, I'd most likely be using B&W CM2s.
Also, is there anything I should be looking for specific to this application, in terms of speaker stands? I'm thinking of using Lovan 24" Affiniti IIs, which would make the top of the stand-mounted speakers about 5" below the top level of my loveseat. However, some problems I can with this is the top plate blocking the back port and wire mounts..
Any advice is appreciated.
-Tarek

Marc H

Second Unit
You would need speakers with very good off-axis treble response for that.
You may not get quite as seamless surround effect either as with the surround speakers to the sides.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
I've done it with my second ht and it works fine, actually better then having them at ear level....i can hear the effects much better...don't ask me why but i can now

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Check out Link Removed They have upwards facing surround speakers coming out soon. M&K has a very good reputation of quality products as well.
DV

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
If you go to this page, you will see that I didn't have very many choices where to put my speakers. My couch is only about 3 or four inches away from the wall... I put my surrounds behind the couch pointing upwards and they sound great. I have to tell you they sound much more spread out than if the speakers were right near my ear.
Anyway it works for me... mileage may vary... Not applicable in Hawaii or Alaska. New York residents please add sales tax.
Ric

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I will have to try that with my surrounds, I have always hated being able to tell which speaker was playing the surround effects.

BTW Ric, Am I seeing things? Or in that last picture....is that an R2-D2 night light? Minds playing tricks on me...

TarekZE

Auditioning
Thanks for the input, guys.

Ric, have you experimented at all with elevating those surrounds? I'm wondering if you thought they sounded better on the floor, or if you put them there simply as a matter of convenience..

-Tarek

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Convenience... Maybe one of these days I will try elevating them a bit.... Perhaps in the new room I am working on.

And no, that is not R2D2... but I had to go check and see what it was! It's one of those plug-in air fresheners!

Ric

Larry B

Screenwriter
Ric:

Based on your pictures, I strongly urge you to pull your main speakers forward, so as to clear the front plane of the cabinet. The difference in soundstage, imaging and clarity will be considerable.

Larry

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

I have my couch against the back wall of the room (small room) and have changed the surround speakers to face each other.

I had them on wall mounted brackets originally, and then moved them to stands (about 5" above ear level) and turned them to face each other. It sounds much better for the rear effects now.

This is an option you might want to try also.

Take it easy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks