Upstairs neighbors! ACK!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jereme D, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

Everytime I play my music loud, my neighbor's girlfriend stomps on the floor over my room! I talked to him when they first moved in, and we set up an agreement, and WE both abide by it. His girlfriend seems to be out of the loop..... [​IMG]

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I hate that. Sometimes when I watch movies my neighbor proceeds to beat on the wall until I turn it down. I hate not being able to listen to my HT when its turned up.

3. Jereme D

I know it's not him, because we like the same music. So far, I've been very nice about it. I could easily drown out her stomps. [​IMG]

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Out of curiosity, why are you discussing it with everybody EXCEPT the person with whom the problem is?

This is going to sound a lot harsher then it's intended to, but if you want there to be an understanding between you and her, then you need to communicate. Mmmmm communications. Solves more problems than bitching on an Internet forum. Also prevents those unsightly police officers knocking on one's door, as advocated in many other threads on this very forum written by people in your upstairs neighbour's position.

5. Jereme D

That's a very valid point Shayne.

She obviously has a problem with it, so talking to her will only complicate things. If she were to say she didn't want me playing it loud at all, then I would NEVER be able to listen at reasonable levels.

6. Shayne Lebrun

Are you renting it from the upstairs people, or is the land lord a third party?

Does it spell out anywhere in your rental agreement/contract/whatever what the rules about such things are?

What are they State or City laws on such things? Usually, it's 'Don't complain unless it's past 10 PM.'

7. Jereme D

I didn't get to read over the contract before the lease here was signed, so I'm not sure about that.

Our local noise ordinance is actually from 11pm - 7am and 12am - 7am on Friday.

The landlord is a third party realty group.

8. Shayne Lebrun

Well, I'd read over the rental agreement, but the fact that you're not paying the upstairs neighbours begs the question 'other than friendlyness, why do you care if the upstairs neighbours don't like the noise in your apartment, other than when it's illegal to be noisy?'

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Shayne Lebrun

12. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

How loud are we talking? for the UPSTAIRS neighbors to hear it, I'd imagine it's pretty loud. My resident manager lives right below me, so I keep my sub down, or off.. and she has my cell on speed dial so she can ask me to turn it down if it's late or really loud... Anyway, I had a point here somewhere.. pretty much the upstairs neighbors can do a lot more to bug the piss out of you, than you can them, since it seems sound never likes to travel up (trust me, my upstairs neighbors are total fuckers and I don't think can hear my DIY shiva that seriously made my downstairs neighbor think we were having an earthquake) so for my own peace, I'd just be nice and keep it down

14. Jereme D

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Try talking to the boyfriend again and ask what his GF's problem is, since you thought you had an agreement/understanding.

16. Jereme D

I'm going to talk to him when he's out in the yard again. I'll probably just confirm our agreement again. I don't want to tell him outright that his gf is being a turd. [​IMG]

17. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

She needs to calm down if its during decent hours. When I lived in an apartment, I was careful to keep the volume (and subwoofer) under control during the late evening and early hours. But I figured Saturday afternoon I was able to "play" as much as I wanted. And none of my neighbors, above, below or to the side of me ever had any problems with it, depsite how normally grumpy they were. I'd talk to her if I could, and her boyfriend failing that. If that doesn't work, talk to the landlord. If her name isn't on the lease, she really doesn't have any right to complain.

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

If you are playing at reference level then don't you think its a little too loud for an apartment? I wouldn't care what kind of agreement I had with a neighbor. If it happens to be bothering me at a particular time I would expect them to turn it down out of common courtesy. Such it is living in an apartment. Does she play music really loud when you are there? If so then oh well, if not then you should tone it down. Music doesn't necessarily have to be ear splitting to be enjoyable.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's a very tricky & delicate issue.

Our neighbours above us decide to walk/bang extemely loud basically whenever we put our TV or DVD system on. We don't play it very loud. Heck, it's not even loud. It's really not - it's not a case of me just saying that, it's *really* not loud. I don't have a subwoofer, I have a pair of Axiom M3tis & a cheap pair of KLH hooked upto a 60W receiver that's never about -45. But they'll bang away like we're being inconsiderate to them :-(

What's a "normal" level in db for an apartment?

We don't know them very well. I've had to complain about their noise twice - where it was at a level where our pictures on the coffee table were shaking through their bass. It was so loud, he couldn't hear me knocking on the door.

But we put our receiver on & whoomp - banging feet time. :-/

20. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I currently live in a condo but I used to live in a apartment. The only thing I looked for in an apartment was that it had air conditioning, a dishwasher and was sound proofed which I tested the first day I moved in. The whole time I lived there I never had a complaint. There is nothing worse than not being able to enjoy your a/v system and annoying the neighbors.