UPS's on HT electronics?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomH, Apr 20, 2002.

1. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Does anyone use UPS's (like APC) on their HT electronics?

Thanks

Tom

2. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

yah, i use an APC BackUPS 300 on my receiver. no problems, but i doubt it would say on for very long while playing. i really only use it because it doesn't have a serial port so i won't use it for my computers anymore, and it is a whole lot better than most surge protectors since it protects from brownouts.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I'm thinking this is not a recommended practice as it might restrict how much juice is available for the amps. Surge Protectors, on the other hand are widely used. Then there are some who want as little as possible between their equipment and the wall socket. I think this is especially true of those with high power amps.

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I am using it on:

1) My PVR satellite box, which is basically a computer with a hard drive

2) My 300 disk DVD jukebox, which has 2 hours of time to label all the disks in it.

Neither of these draws significant power, and the UPS I have cleans up the power to a very nice sine wave, so that's an upside. I would not plug my amps into it, though, even if it had the output. Probably not my preamp (when it gets here) either.

BB

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I use one for my TV, Tivo, and receiver. Frankly, I was surprised it handled the load. I don't expect it to handle a power outage for long, but I'm concerned with brown-outs. I used to have a problem with that, and didn't like the effect it had on the TV and receiver. Since I've put those on the surge protector, I've never noticed a brown out. Perhaps there hasn't been one, I can't say for sure. It certainly doesn't cause any problems, but in my current apartment, I never stress the amps so I can't say for certain how much it can handle.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Generally, 2 things are recommended when using a UPS on your home theater electronics:

1. Enough wattage to support your attached electronics.

2. This is important, and often forgotten: Choose a UPS that outputs a true Sine Wave, not an approximate sine wave! For reference, no UPS by APC below the SmartUPS 700 will output a true sine wave. While the switching supplies on computers can handle the very VERY ugly step-like approximate sine waves of low level UPS's, home theater audio and video electronics are not designed to.

7. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I use UPS's for my entire HT system. I use 2 2400VA UPS units with true sine wave output. The UPS' will run the equipment for hours, but I've only had it on UPS for about 1 hour so far. The main one I use has 4 120AH 12V batteries and is located in my garage with 10 guage wire running to the HT. This unit was equiped with 30A twistloc plugs and outlets. These units condition the power all the time, protecting it from power surges, sags, brownouts, and other power problems. The best part is I got these high end units new for much less then the basic power conditioners, on Ebay.