Upside Down Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I read a recent review, where the reviewer stated his preference for having the surround tweeters at ear height, even though most recommendations are to have them 1 - 3 ft above.

So if I have mine at about 15", if I put my speakers upside down, that would change to about 1.5" above ear level. But what does that do to the woofer and imaging and such?

I know that some bookshelf speakers specifically have woofers on top, but they are obviously designed that way.

Anyone know? Thanks!

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Shouldn't hurt, turning them upside down, my B&W dealer does this all the time with a standard speaker as a centre upside down to match tweeter height with mains.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Imaging will not change, since you haven't changed anything but the orientation. What will change is what the drivers reflect off of, so the only real way to know what will happen is to try it out. I keep all of my speakers at ear level as well, except for my front center, for which I have little choice due to the TV.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool, yeah I kept thinking that maybe the midrange/low freqs would too "spatially" high, but that makes no sense when you think that essentially all that's happening is that you're just "mirroring" the speaker's drivers across the horizontal axis...