upset just as if someone passed away

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Will.MA, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

I woke today to find my one month young receiver won't power up. Hitting the button activates the solenoid but nothing else happens. Now I must send the unit back to the retailer so that they can have it fixed at Yamaha. They have quoted six to eight weeks for turnaround.

Man, I feel sick when I think of six to eight weeks without movies/games/tv in digital surround. On top of which I have to stare at the blank spot in my den where the unit should be for just as long. Seriously, it is almost unbearable. I'm really thinking of paying for the repair out of pocket just to avoid the lengthy inconvenience of going through Yamaha's channels.

I'm not going to say it, but at this point I almost wish I would have overpaid a brick & mortar retailer just so that I could take the yammy somewhere local and return home with a new unit.

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

You just did. Think of all the money you saved while you wait 8 weeks to get your receiver back. This is the down side of the long discount.

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Will- Use the money to buy a second receiver. For a hundred bucks you might not find much but if you look there should be something. Even used if necessary and send your Yamaha in for repair.
    Now you've got at least something that will substitute in an emergency and also fit into another room when you get your receiver back.
    I bought a brand new receiver about 5 years on closeout MSRP $300 for $89 as I remember.

4. GaryArt

GaryArt Auditioning

I feel your pain Will, been w/o my NAD unit for four weeks+ and counting. Oh yeah, I did buy from a brick and mortar, no help from them, they just sent it to NAD the same I would have. It sure does give a place like Sears the edge, they fixed my two year old CRT in two days, I made the claim not 3 days before expiry. Hmmmm, I wonder where I will buy my next TV from.....

5. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Buy a used Yammy on Ebay for cheap. I sold my RXV-595 for $150 last year.

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Gee Will, I can honestly say I have never heard anything quite so sad ....

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Surely you're exagerating. It's just a hunk of plastic & metal. It has no soul, it cannot feel pain, sorrow, love.

For crying out loud, it's not even a MacIntosh.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Do you mean McIntosh or do you mean MacIntosh?

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

:b Jack, right now I'm so tired that I have no idea. :b

Whichever one is the over-priced stuff with the funny lettering and the blue lights. You know, the stuff I have always wanted, but have never been able to afford. Not the computer for people who have to be different.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Did you inquire on getting a loaner from the store while your receiver is being repaired? Can't hurt to ask.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That's what I would have suggested also. My local dealer would not replace something that was under warranty, they would send it back. As a repeat customer of many years though, they either gave me a deal on a replacement item or gave me a loaner in the meantime. Unfortunately, you bought online, which makes that a little more difficult. Check with your local B&Ms and see if any have stuff for in-home demos that you can return without any questions.

In the worst case, I'd go pick up at least a used stereo receiver or integrated just to get me by.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Julian, then you mean "McIntosh."

13. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Wow, two admins. posting on one page, in one thread. Cool!

14. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

That line is dripping with sarcasm - and I like it!

15. Will.MA

I seriously believe I'm going to pay for repairs out of pocket. It looks like I'll have to pull my old Pioneer VSX-604S out of retirement until all is settled. The aspect of the plan that sucks the most is the thought of removing 28 banana plugs from the speaker's copper as my Pioneer doesn't have binding posts.

Honestly, immediately after I submitted this post to the forum, I anticipated at least one response that would be devoid of any sympathy for my plight. From someone that doesn't have the bug most of us have I'd understand the lack of sympathy. But from people that enjoy movies as much as we all do I'd expect most to feel my pain. It's all good though.

16. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

we understand the pain. hell, ive been without one of my sub cables for a month, and it was really starting to bug me.

BUT, on the flip side, you bought online, presumably from an unauthorized dealer... what did you expect? B&M dont stay open becuase the majority of the population are chumps. i would be amazed if you got a loaner, and i would be amazed if the manufacterer didnt gouge you on repair costs. i have seen the manufacturers do that for people who didnt get their stuff at an authorized dealer.

its not like you are just throwing money away when you shop at a B&M store... you ARE getting something.

17. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I don't know about the B&M stuff. I've owned a pioneer Elite receiver break down less then four months after buying it new and a onkyo receiver that needed repairs and it took more then two months to get both of them back. I had to keep pushing for the onkyo because the store and onkyo kept arguing over who should pay for the repair. It was still under the manufacturers warranty and under the extended warranty that was thrown in as part of a deal when I bought it.

18. Will.MA

No doubt, your right. I really wanted to invest the extra couple hundred dollars in better performance instead of paying for the overhead of the local B&M. I knew this could happen and I took the risk. And I got called on the bluff. I owned the receiver my new one replaced for eight very happy years. I hoped I'd have the same experience here.

Guess what though? The dammed receiver is working again. Right before I was to box it to ship it out, I decided to plug it up one more time since it was sitting on my dining room table making me utterly miserable. I got juice, so I plugged in all the sources, now I'm back in business. I'm watching on Any Given Sunday on it now. The only thing I can think of to explain why it failed before is crossed wires? But that doesn't make sense because it's wired with bananas.

I don't know. Right now I'm keeping it overnight for "observation." LOL.

19. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

even with banana plugs you could have had a stray wire shorting things out... it only takes one.

20. Will.MA

I don't see how. All of my terminations to the the screw-down plugs were trimmed with wire shears to prevent strands from contacting the rear plate of the cabinet and the speaker wire was new and without a tear to its jacket. The only possibility that I can think of to explain a short is perhaps a plug loose in its socket had just enough play to contact the plug next door. It's a stretch but possible. Hell, clearly something unforseen happened.