What's new

Upscaling/upconverting question (1 Viewer)

Montoblo

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am planning an upgrade to my home theater. I originally was thinking of getting an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver, Samsung Series 6 LN46A650 LCD tv, and the new Panasonic Blu-Ray player that will support Profile 2.0.

My main question is this:

If I have the blu-ray player hooked up to the receiver's hdmi input and output via hdmi to the tv, will there be any loss of visual performance? Or will it just be a pass through/repeater? Will the 1080P signal that is coming into the receiver stay 1080P when it leaves the receiver and goes to the TV??

Clarification in this area would be great. Thank you so much.

If the Onkyo I am planning on obtaining does not perform the way I would like it to, is the Sony STR-DA5300ES be a better receiver since reviews on Cnet indicate that it can effectively produce 1080P signals to an output tv?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
While I don’t know that receiver, the answer is almost surely no. Bits are bits. 1s and 0s don’t degrade and neither should they be lost as there error detecting and correcting has been around for a very long time.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
What Lew said. There is no degrading an HDMI signal. You either get it or you don't . . . and if you don't, you know it right away. In addition, I can clarify that all Onkyo HDMI receivers will pass 1080p as 1080p.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
...as will the STR-DA5300ES -> 1080p in on HDMI = 1080p out on HDMI.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't have an HDMI receiver, but isn't the more "iffy" question with these whether the reciever will accept the audio through HDMI or whether you also have to run an audio connection?

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
This isn't an issue with either of the receivers being mentioned in this thread. It is, however, a legitimate question to ask when looking at the low end of a manufacturer's receiver line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks