Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by John*DB, Sep 13, 2004.

1. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

Jul 1, 2004
    Is this the same thing? I have read as much definitions and searched as much as I could. I am doing my best to understand what "upscaling" means.

Could anyone give me a well thought out and SIMPLE definition for these terms? This combined with an EXAMPLE would really help. I think I might be thinking about this too much and confusing myself a little about definitions.

2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    Hmmm, confusing because the terms do seem to be used universally, even in manufacture literature.

I consider Upscaling, to be when one resolution is digitally made into another resolution then output.
    Example: Taking 480i DVD and outputting it to the monitor in 1080i.....

I consider Upconversion, to really be going from one type of video/connection to another.
    Example: Taking an svideo source and outputting it on Component Video or Composite video source to Svideo, ect... (Something AVR's do now)

With that said, my Zenith DVD player uses the term Upconversion to describe outputting DVD at 1080i. So I could be wrong, or it could also be that there is no right or wrong?

Confusing to say the least.
  3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    i've always used the terms interchangably (is that a word?).

as far as an example goes:

1. dvd's are 480p
    2. my tv can do 1080i
    3. my dvd player can "upconvert" my dvd to a hi-def 1080i quality. (it's not true hi-def...but close)

so my dvd is upconverted to 1080i.

check out this thread as well. lots of good info on upscaling dvd players.
  4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Upscaling, upconversion, same thing as far as scan lines and pixels go.

I do not consider composite to S-video, etc. an upconversion or a downconversion. Those who do also dispute which way is up or down!

Video hints:

Upconversion (and downconversion) but not upscaling also refers to the shifting of frequency bands, such as (upconversion) converting the 20 to 20,000 Hz right audio channel to be, say, 20,020 to 40,000 Hz so both left and right channels can be transmitted on the same wire.
  5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    I've always regarded upconversion to be limited to the upconversion of video signal types, usually in receivers. I.e. you can input composite, and s-video, and it will change that (upconvert is usually the word) to a component output for simplicity. This does not improve the resolution or PQ, etc, merely a change in signal type.

Upscaling I've always regarded to video processing/doubling/scaling, etc to increase the apparent resolution to a display.

Whether this is standard or not, obviously not, since manufacturers use these words all over the place in different ways, so you should be particular in understanding what they mean.