What's new

Upscaling/HDef DVD Player merged thread (1 Viewer)

pearlyred

Grip
Real Name
Lee
I'm a little confused, can someone help? I currently use a Panasonic AE900e projector with a Harman/Kardon DVD22 player, connected via component. The projector's native resolution is 720p, so does that mean that it scales any input and outputs it at 720p?

Would I see a difference if using an "upscaling" DVD player instead of the HK, or is the projector already doing what the upscaling DVD would do?

Cheers
Lee

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If your DLP(?) projector has DVI/HDMI input, then I would think you'll likely get a cleaner looking picture using a good upscaling DVD player for 720p output. You'd be avoiding the extra D/A -> A/D conversions as well as the analog signal transmission. Also, having the player do both deinterlacing and upscaling together might yield less artifacts too assuming the algorithm is a good one.

_Man_

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The projector may not be outputting 720p with your DVD player.

For example, my HDTV is 1080i and when my non-upscaling DVD player was connected via compnent, there was no automatic switching of resolutions (on the TV) when I switched over to the DVD input...

but now that I have an upscaling player connected via HDMI, I notice a resolution switch when I switch to the DVD input - kind of the same phenomenon when switching from standard cable to HDTV cable.

So in this example, the TV wasn't upscaling the signal, just as your projector might not be upscaling either.

p.s. I'm just guessing...

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I just set up my OPPO DV-970HD player - connecting it with their free HDMI cable to my Panasonic TH-50PX60U. I was wondering about the upconversion. Should I just leave the OPPO at 1080i upconversion for all DVDs or would some be more suitable at another resolution for some reason or another?

Thanks,

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I wrote to the OPPO customer support and they wrote back with the following:
Neil

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Although this merged thread is a good idea, the info in it is getting old.

So, as I am looking for a new player can anyone point me to current (2007) or recently discontinued models that:

- upconvert via component
- are reliable
- are multiregion (preferably)
- are reasonably priced

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My Samsung LN-T4661F will be arriving in a few days. I have a Denon 1910 progressive scan dvd player and it's not clear to me the best way to hook it up. Do I use the component outputs, DVI-D Out (HDCP) or the S-Video out?

The manual says I can turn on Progressive Scan and use the component video jack, but it says that is 525p/480p which doesn't seem like very high resolution. The manual states that I can connect with a TV using the DVI-D output with a TV with an HDCP compatible DVI-D port. I can also select between 480p, 720p, and 1080i on the DVD menu for the DVI output, this sounds better.

When I look at the manual for the Samsung TV, it says to take the DVI output of the DVD and hook it up to the HDMI input on the TV. The HDMI includes HDCP. Is this last way the best way or component or...? If DVI to HDMI is the best way, obviously I'll have to order a cable for that, I only have HDMI.

BTW, I can find no reference to upconverting in the DVD manual, is that just a given with progressive scan?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Hook it up via the DVI port from the DVD player to the t.v via DVI/HDMI adapter. Select 1080i then enjoy. I don't think that player does 1080i via component.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, that's the way I'll go, unless I can talk "she who must be obeyed" into a blu-ray player. Thanks for the advice.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes you do, young grasshopper. It would appear you are single or do not have a significant other who has no enthusiasm for HT in general. Otherwise, "she who must be obeyed" is the best wife in the world.:)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
nope. happy2b single from the sounds of my co-workers who have wives. i think a recurring theme for wives is a manipulative/conniving person. i'm2scared :frowning:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just make this comment and leave it. Manipulative and conniving is certainly not typical, in my experience for women and certainly not for my wife. It is more common for men to be more interested in HT than women, you've heard men described as "boys with their toys." Just because the significant other doesn't share the same enthusiasm for HT as the man, that's not a negative. And when a couple are making a significant expenditure, it's important that both are in agreement that the purchase is ok.:)

stevenHa

Second Unit
I read a review for the Oppo that stated that you needed a video monitor to set it up - what does this mean ?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

About the only thing I can think of is that you need to be able to see the menus onscreen to set up the audio options. Once you have done that, you can listen to audio only discs without having a display turned on. I own two Oppo players and several other players and don't find anything unique about the Oppo players in that regard. Don't let that requirement discourage you from purchasing an Oppo player.

Chris

stevenHa

Second Unit
Does that mean a separate monitor from the TV screen, and if you don't set does it means each time you listen to a CD you have to go thru the TV to select options ? Thanks.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I just purchased the phillips dvp3960 only because it does up convert, has hdmi, plus its for a bedroom setup so I wanted a lower end unit. Anyone have any feedback on this unit? I watched a movie with it last night and it does a great job and for under $40 it can be beat.
Philips DVP3960

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks