What's new

Upscaling/HDef DVD Player merged thread (1 Viewer)

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
A mod at HDTVoice.com figured it out: even though my set is 4:3, it has vertical compression, switching to virtual 16:9 (after, I don't know, a quick handshake with the HDMI). Setting the HD845 for a 16:9 TV worked. Gotta say, some DVDs look pretty damn good at 1080i. Plus a little fiddling with the Philips universal remote and it's region free...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Newbie question here.

I have a projector with a native resolution of 1024 x 768.

http://pcworld.about.com/news/Jan262...lcd+projectors

My DVD player connects to it via the component connection, and the DVD player is set to progressive scan, so I believe that means it is delivering a 480p signal to the projector.

Am I right that the projector must then be upsampling it to 768p, since the projector's native resolution is 1024 x 768?

And if so, what benefit if any would there be if I were to get an upsampling DVD player such as the Toshiba SD-6980? These upsampling DVD players can upsample at 720p (or 1080i, but that would be beyond my projector's resolution). But what's the point of having a DVD player upsample to 720p if the projector is already doing that?

Thanks.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The real question is, is your projector actually upsampling? If the DVD player only spits out 480p, then the projector may only be projecting 480p - but that's just a guess on my part.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

But then wouldn't the image be a small square floating in a sea of black? Somehow, it is filling the entire screen.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Well, I'm just loving my new upconverting player. I'm using a Sony DVP-NS75H with my 57" widescreen Sony KP-57WS500, connected via an HDMI-DVI adapter. It's a clear improvement over component. I've tested about 12 DVDs so far, and every one of them has been an absolute pleasure to behold. I've actually avoided watching films on that set because DVDs looked subpar, but no more!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My Tosh Plasma has an auto 16.9 feature, but my Samsung upconverting player wont make the switch on its own. Long and short of it, will that Sony NS75H auto squeeze, cause my other Sony (7700) will do that on my OTHER TV. You know its 1 more button i have to worry about, usually with non 16.9 special features.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
long thread. hadn't a chance to read through it all but...

can the upconvert DVD players with divx/xvid/mpeg4 features playback 1080p files? i've got a few 1080p files. anyone?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
This thread is too long. Anyone start a list yet of DVD upconverting players that work and are a great bargain? I need one soon.

Will the cheapos do the job good enough until Blue Ray gets cheaper?
And, the forum has changed its look. Where are the links to the old newbie thread that we built?

OK! I read a few more pages. We definitely need a thread on players and peoples opinions on how good they are in some sort of order so that those of us that are in the market can drill down on one soon.
I have the same question that another person asked and was never answered. Are there any 1080P upconverting players and does it really matter? Is 1080i as good as it gets on upconverting?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I read some notes that people could not get the 1080P to work on the 960, so I will experiment with the RCA drc257n for a few days. So far it works fine, but waiting for my 1080P monitor. Could not find a 1080 Samsung online.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I picked up the Samsung 960 last week. It works fine with my 46" Sony Bravia XBR2 in 1080p. I didn't have to set up anything in the video portion of the DVD player's set up menu.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I bought a samsung 850.. and it was a peice of crap.. it had alot of problems. when I did upconversion.. it would be too dark in 720p. plus there was a problem with the HDMI and sound error.. I took it back.

I recently got the rca DRC257N.. its a nice player with one minor problem.. the hdmi to DVI has a problem when I put a dvd in.. it loses picture and then I have to unplug it and then plug it back in.. then it works fine. picture is great.. more so then componets, svideo, or the rca wires.

I think I will save up for an oppo dvd player.

Jacob

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i read that the KISS players can actually output 1080p divx files via component and/or DVI. that true? i'm still looking for a DVD player that can output 1080 resolution from divx/xvid files.

astromusic

Auditioning
Real Name
Kal
Hi, has anyone tried the Helios H4000 Upscaling DVD player. The reason I am interested is that this looks to be the only player in the market that outputs 1080i on Component output. I have an older projector that only has component in, but can accept 1080i (the Sony VPL-400Q).

So, the choice for me is to use the regular DVD (480i) output, and let the projector do the upscaling, or feed it an upscaled output from the Helios. I was wondering if the Helios is a good unit.

TIA!

-Kal.

meethead

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Hi, first time for me . but I have a Lg DN191H dvd and after reading about, that if you have a LG that has a HDMI UPscale dvd that it should up through the comp. well I tryed it and the pic. was GREAT I had just used avia the day before on my composit inputs from my dvd and when I tryed Pir. Of Carib.disk it was so good, with before unseen colors, But I regress,I then tryed it In HD.comp.inputs on my WS-65905 Mits.and the pic.was so clean and deep Looked Like HD. or something very close, I have Hd cable dvr and the HD on HD chan. look the same. THE colors were not as good, so I used avia on the HD. comp. inputs through the dvd THE pic. turned out a little dark so I'm going to try again tonight to use avia My tv sets each input sep. input Svid.,2,DVD,4,DTV well just try it THANKS for every one on the thread I learned alot.

astromusic

Auditioning
Real Name
Kal
Hi, David. From the LG website for that DVD player:
"1080i Upconversion with HDMI Output
A special video processing circuit upconverts all signals to 1080i (more than a thousand lines of horizontal resolution) via HDMI output for use with compatible televisions."

It is possible that your unit does output 1080i via the Component output; however, looks like the current versions only output that via HDMI. This is because the thugs in the recording industry have "persuaded" equipment makers not to put out the high quality of signal from Component - HDMI has built in Rights Management stuff, and so they feel safer with that. It means consumers lose, but hey, what do they care about that?

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Hey...my parents just bought a brand new Sharp Aquos 1080p TV (42 inches!). And they have a DVD player that we've been using since '99. I hooked it up and the picture looks straight up sub-par. It's so old it doesn't even have component outputs or outputs in progressive. So I'm going to buy an upscaling DVD player and sit out the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray battle.

Can anyone tell me what would be the most bang for my buck? The highest i'm willing to go is 200 dollars.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
either the samsung or oppo upscale players cost towards $200 and will get you VERY nice pictures. i think the latest models also have 1080p upscale over HDMI =-).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks