Upscaling DVD's

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by John Goodwin, Mar 13, 2005.

1. John Goodwin

John Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

Hi

Can someone explain whats involved when people talk about upscaling a DVD please?

I thought that a DVD has a standard resolution ,does upscaling achieve a higher res,and if it does what is it?

What kind of hardware would i need to upscale a DVD,just a player capable of doing it,or some other equipment?

Thanks
    John.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

John, in the past year a few DVD players that can upscale a DVD image to 720p and/or 1080i have been introduced. No, they do not "add" resolution to DVD's 480-line image, but some of the players have improved the image to sort-of high-definition.

Prior to this, there are separate video scalers available that do the same thing — often to the tune of several thousand dollars. As with any technological area, an economy of scale has been introduced with the appearance of these new DVD players.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

John, I have one of the upscaling players you are asking about and although it doesn't produce true hi-def images, the picture when upscaled is an improvment over a 480p image. I am satisfied with the results and usually watch DVDs in 1080i mode. My player is capable of upscaling 480p content to 720p, 768p and 1080i. My TVs native resolution is 1080i and cannot display 720p or 768p resolutions.

While there are some players that are capable of upscaling via the component outputs/inputs on the player/TV, most players only upscale via their DVI/HDMI interfaces so it is necessary to have a display with the corresponding connection. Further, some of the players that upscale over component cannot upscale copy protected material. Usually players with DVI/HDMI upscaling must be HDCP (High bandwith Digital Content Protection) compliant and hooked up to a display that is also HDCP compliant for obvious reasons. I hope I shed a little bit of light on your question.[​IMG]

4. John Goodwin

John Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Jack and Chuck,
    I was asking about this as maybe something to tide me over until the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD format war has been settled one way or the other.
    I will still be buying standard DVD for quite a while,and it sounds like a good thing.

5. John S

John S Producer

If you want to see how good it can be.. Get the Zenith, then load the older firmware on it. Then hookup via component setup for 1080i.......

Pretty amazing on many displays. Seems best for CRT RPTV's, that use 480p / 1080i as native, over the analog component inputs with this player.

6. raymond caputo

raymond caputo Stunt Coordinator

does anyone know which players can upscale to 1080i via component??

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

john - there is an ongoing discussion about this stuff over in the a/v section. click here.

raymond - there's a list of players over at avsforum. click here.

i had the older samsung (931?) upconverting for a while. i stupidly sold it and kick myself all the time ... as i'm not really happy with any of the current models out there. i think the zenith and lg are probably the hottest ones out there right now.

8. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

You could also look into an HTPC. Set up properly, they will meet or surpass any of even the higher-end outboard video processors. Check out the htpc section here, or for alot more in-depth information, over at avsforum.com. Normally, your display will upscale the input (whatever it is, dvd, tv, sat) to whatever you have it set to, or in the case of a digital display (FP, LCD or DLP RPTV), to whatever the native resolution is. Most of the time, the scaler in your tv or projector is of pretty crappy quality, so you would set your upscaling dvd player, video processor, or htpc to whatever resolution you want to display, and therefore bypass your display's scaler. I am speaking from the point of view of digital displays, so if someone knows something different about a crt projection unit or direct display, it might be different. I have my computer set up to diplay dvds at 720p, the native resolution of my sanyo z2, with zoomplayer and ffdshow, and at 98", the picture quality is absolutely phenomenal. I have not seen an upscaling dvd player in action, but from what I understand, an HTPC (again, properly set up) will blow it out of the water any day.

Htpcs can be a pain in the a** to set up, but definitely worth it in the long run. Plus, once a new format comes out, all you have to do is upgrade your drive. In addition, with some extra storage, I have a 200+ dvd jukebox that I can control with my remote that can start any movie in my collection with the push of a button.

Just food for though.