Upscaling DVD players vs RP82. Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin. W, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Just curious if anyone with the Liteon or Bravo or even the new LG has compared the PQ of the upscaling via component vs a RP82 or similar model player.

Kevin

2. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

A member at another forum noted that, in his opinion, the LG DV7832 has a better PQ than a Panasonic RP91, the predecessor to the RP82 (no slouch).

Dave

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I'm wondering more if difference in PQ justifies the $300CDN it costs? Since my RPTV doesn't have DVI, component upscaling is my only route. I also figure I could sell my RP82 for what I paid(has an extended warranty) to cover the costs of the LG. Oh the urge to upgrade is killing me.

Kevin

4. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Kevin,

Getting an extended warranty on the RP82 was a great idea....considering that there have been reports of failures (laser???) just after the warranty expires. Hope that your warranty is transferable.

Dave

5. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, the RP91 is NOT the predecessor to the RP82.

They are two different animals. While they use the same MPEG decoder, the RP82 uses the Faroudja deinterlacing chip while the RP91 does not.

If you've got an RP82, hang on to it. I ditched my RP91 for an RP82. Ignore the urge to upgrade, it's one of the best bang for the buck players in recent history. [​IMG]

6. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I agree. A good 480p player is all you need, since dvd is only 480i anyway, and the 82 can keep up with the best of them.

7. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Is LG DV7832 currently the only player that can upscale via component? Or are there other alternatives?

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Liteon makes a player that can do it but the 2001 model has been replaced with the 2002 which can't. The LG is the latest to come available though quantity can be scarce. Was able to find one in my area so I went ahead and picked it up today. So far I've tried two discs(Daredevil and Fifth Element Superbit) and it looks like the player is upconverting them. In 480p mode I can change the Aspect ratio of the TV but changing it to 1080i I can't. Looks like I'll have to calibrate my TV since things are off in 1080i mode before I can give you my honest opinion. One thing though the build quality of the player excellent. Feels very solid and heavy.

Kevin