Upscaling DVD, DVD-A, SACD, CD changer?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JasonF, Nov 1, 2004.

1. JasonF

JasonF Agent

I would like to upgrade my poor older DVD player and five disc CD changer. I'm interested in an upscaling DVD player through componet cables. I would also like to get a SACD, DVD-A, CD changer in at least a two hundred disc capacity. My question is how many different pieces of equipment do I need to buy to achieve this. I was thinking about a Sony changer to cover the changer and SACD, but then I still need a DVD-A player and a upscaling DVD player. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Doesn't exist yet.

You could buy the Onkyo CP-802 or Integra 8.5 and that gives you a 6 disc changer for all audio formats, including SACD and DVD-a. No upscaling.

For video, these are solid enough or you'd have to get something else as a dedicated video unit.

If you really want to have 200+ discs, then you'd have to get maybe a third unit from Sony for dedicated CD playback, depending on how important that really is to you.

2-3 pieces of equipment, tops.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

There are no upscaling changers.
    There are no universal mega-changers.

4. JasonF

JasonF Agent

Well... I guess I'll have to get the upscaling Zenith DVD player, a Sony megachanger, and some sort of universal SACD-DVD-A player. Any suggestions on a decent universal player? Say under $250. Thanks.

5. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Just get the Denon 2910 and the Sony megachanger. 2 machines cover you on all fronts. Or the Yamaha s1500 or s2500. Or again, the Onkyo 502 or 802.

6. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Eric

All I heard was ...

Scary thought, huh?

7. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    ^^ LOL! [​IMG]

That IS scary, but unfortuneately, his choices are quite limited given his budget and what he wants.

Personally, I don't know what the big draw is for a 200+ CD changer or whatever.

I think he'd be happy if he got the Integra 8.5 or Onkyo 802 and coupled that with the Zenith 318 or something like that. Or he just used those. As I understand it, the video is quite respectable on those units, but I can understand, if the money is there, getting one of those for dedicated audio and getting a nice dedicated video unit.

8. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Also, depending upon what display you (he) is using, upscaling via compoment can be vastly overrated.

9. JasonF

JasonF Agent

I'm have a Philips 60" RPTV HD NO DVI. I'd like a megachanger so I can burn all my cd's and just leave them in the changer. I haven't had a chance to research these models yet. Do they upscale through component? Thanks.

10. JasonF

JasonF Agent

Now that I think about it, can I run DVI from the DVD player to my HK AVR-325 then component to my tv? Will this still upconvert? If this will work I'll probably go with the Denon 2910 and a Sony changer. Thanks.

11. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

No.

a) No DVI on the AVR-325.

b) Cannot convert DVI (digital) to component (analog).