What's new

Upscaling DVD, DVD-A, SACD, CD changer? (1 Viewer)

JasonF

Agent
I would like to upgrade my poor older DVD player and five disc CD changer. I'm interested in an upscaling DVD player through componet cables. I would also like to get a SACD, DVD-A, CD changer in at least a two hundred disc capacity. My question is how many different pieces of equipment do I need to buy to achieve this. I was thinking about a Sony changer to cover the changer and SACD, but then I still need a DVD-A player and a upscaling DVD player. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Doesn't exist yet.

You could buy the Onkyo CP-802 or Integra 8.5 and that gives you a 6 disc changer for all audio formats, including SACD and DVD-a. No upscaling.

For video, these are solid enough or you'd have to get something else as a dedicated video unit.

If you really want to have 200+ discs, then you'd have to get maybe a third unit from Sony for dedicated CD playback, depending on how important that really is to you.

2-3 pieces of equipment, tops.

JasonF

Agent
Well... I guess I'll have to get the upscaling Zenith DVD player, a Sony megachanger, and some sort of universal SACD-DVD-A player. Any suggestions on a decent universal player? Say under $250. Thanks.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Just get the Denon 2910 and the Sony megachanger. 2 machines cover you on all fronts. Or the Yamaha s1500 or s2500. Or again, the Onkyo 502 or 802.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
^^ LOL! :D

That IS scary, but unfortuneately, his choices are quite limited given his budget and what he wants.

Personally, I don't know what the big draw is for a 200+ CD changer or whatever.

I think he'd be happy if he got the Integra 8.5 or Onkyo 802 and coupled that with the Zenith 318 or something like that. Or he just used those. As I understand it, the video is quite respectable on those units, but I can understand, if the money is there, getting one of those for dedicated audio and getting a nice dedicated video unit.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Also, depending upon what display you (he) is using, upscaling via compoment can be vastly overrated.

JasonF

Agent
I'm have a Philips 60" RPTV HD NO DVI. I'd like a megachanger so I can burn all my cd's and just leave them in the changer. I haven't had a chance to research these models yet. Do they upscale through component? Thanks.

JasonF

Agent
Now that I think about it, can I run DVI from the DVD player to my HK AVR-325 then component to my tv? Will this still upconvert? If this will work I'll probably go with the Denon 2910 and a Sony changer. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morkys
Recent bookmarks