What's new

Upscaling and Aspect?? (1 Viewer)

JoeRace

Auditioning
Ok
Pulled the trigger on a Panasonic PT500 projector, got the DVI cable, and picked up a Denon 1910 to fill my source needs.

My question is, when applying the upscaling feature at the DVD player, my projected imaged seems to get strectched, what gives? Neither the projector nor the player seem to have any image options when transferring the data via the DVI cable. Is this typical of all upscaling DVD players, a weakness of my projector, or due to the DVD I was playing (Shrek2)?

At this point I'm a bit disappointed in "upscaling", I'm hoping someone here can help me change my mind.

Thanks

Milwaukee HT Newbie

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If your image looks stretched, there is some type of settings mismatch in your player/projector/DVD. I'm not familiar with that projector, but I'm assuming it is native 16:9 and is set to output 16:9. If that is the case, you must:

a) Set your DVD player for 16:9 (widescreen) output. This setting is on the setup menu, often only available when there is no DVD in the player.

b) You must play a 16:9 enhanced DVD. Shrek 2 is 16:9 enhanced, but make sure you are playing the widescreen version, not the fullscreen. If Shrek 2 is anything like Shrek, it has both versions in the same DVD package.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It may indeed not handle 4:3 and/or non-anamorphic material well. Your DVD needs to be widescreen and say "Enhanced for Widescreen Displays" or something to that effect. The player and display need to be set for 16:9 ratio.

Best of luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks