What's new

UPS VS Monster VS???? (1 Viewer)

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compared these UPS units with some of the power conditioners, regenerators currently associated with audio.

For example
Why would I spend 4700 USD (a good deal actually) on a used Monster Power HT7000 when I could get a good UPS at a fraction of that cost?

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
The 7000 is an exceptional unit with it's 6 balance ac outlets. I've tracked opinions on it and, after Monster's ups and downs with the first production units, I believe it is the most comprehensive Power Product for $10k HT setups.
UPS is a completley different animal, and I doubt that you'll find a UPS that can support all of your components. I haven't come across any real comparisons between balance ac vs. battery supplied AC. I've tried both but in different locations so it was hard to gauge how much of an impact each made on sound. (Both balanced ac and the UPS batter power could not support the power demands of a display device or amp). However, I can say that, with the 7000, i've heard dramatic improvements on imaging, focus, soundstaging and, most notably, a huge drop in the noise floor.
I've heard similar improvements with the UPS, but it was hard to say how dramatic the changes were given the fact that the quality of ac was different in each location. Theoretically, I only understand the fundamentals of what makes balance ac so effective, but I'm definitely not qualitifed to explain why battery produced power works so well.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well the UPS is designed primarily for the purpose of providing sufficient power so that attached equipment, generally computer, can be shut down in an orderly fashion in the event of a prolonged power outage. In either of the two cases, just what is it that you're looking to achieve or is there a particular problem that you're trying to address?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks