UPS Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Woodrow, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I am considering installing UPS and surge protection for my two computers (a home server and a HTPC). Can anyone make any recommendations as to brands, features, and on-line sources?

I'm not looking for long battery life, just enough to get to the computer and shut it down properly if the power goes off.

Both computers are running WinXP Pro and stay on 24/7.

Finally, is there any advantage to connecting a TiVo to the UPS?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ken, I'm surprised no one with UPS has come back here...I'll give a quick shot. Having both a server and HTPC makes it a tad more complex. Choices are myriad.
    Yes, you really want a surge protector.
    1. It can be stand-alone and any under-$100 unit with at least 1000 Joule rating will suffice. However, it wud be just as easy to integrate this in a box that has other functions.
    2. "Smart" UPS will offer an RS-232 and CD-Rom (must specify adaptive to WinXP-Pro). UPS will detect outage and in nanoseconds shut down the computer properly while no one is at the station. I do this with a 3-year-old Belkin "Resource" (no longer in the catalog but cost $90) on one computer tower/monitor set-up in Win98SE. I have a DSL connection.
    Check out Belkin's new Regulator Pro Gold Series for under $150 with computer shutdown program here
    Smart UPS from TrippLite and APC can run in the $500 range, especially if they include a voltage regulator, which is optional if your local power is 120V stable 99percent of the time. I'm not saying to buy the following, just go to the websites and assess what these babies do:
    APC Smart-UPS 620 x 6 outlets=$591.
    OR TrippLite SmartPro700RM x8 outlets=$350.
    These units are respectively 700VA and 750VA. Mine is 450VA and it's not enough batterypack juice for every single peripheral.
    UPS generally give surge protection a secondary role and may not offer more than 480 Joule rating. Assess your surge protection priority depending on how many electrical storms you get where you live. In any case, it's mandatory that yr telwire for modem be run thru protection in/out. Most UPS should have this.
    People say UPS is wonderful for Tivo (and VCR clocks) to maintain the settings either for the seconds it takes for home power to stabilize during momentary outages, or keep them powered until you can sequentially shut down.
    With some looking, I'll bet you can find something less expensive without a voltage regulator but has these other shutdown/surge features. COMPAQ is another UPS player. I wud not get hung up on the "pure sine wave" question since yr goal isnt to operate the gear, rather to have time to shutdown.
    bill

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

post updated