What's new

UPS question (1 Viewer)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting my first projector this week and was advised to get a UPS incase of power failure so the bulb has a chance to cool down properly. Well, after looking around, I've noticed that these aren't the cheapest things to buy. My question is, would these inexpensive ones designed for computer use (like this one) suffice for a few minutes of cooling as opposed to something far more expensive like this HT-designed UPS (seen here). I know nothing about UPS systems. Please help. I'm looking for functional yet affordable.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
In a nutshell - get the cheap one meant for computers. When you go Monster, you pay a premium for the name but don't really get anything more. Plus look at the weights. Shipping weight of 13 lbs. for the much more expensive Monster, 17 lbs. product weight for the cheaper APC. Says something to me. Plus the APC appears to be more versatile.

I would not run an amplifier off either though; too much drain.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm just looking for something to allow the projector to cool down enough in such an emergency. Thanks a lot. You just saved me a lot of cash :)

chris_everett

Second Unit
Two thoughts:
1. All the cheaper APC UPS's overcharge the batteries and burn them up quickly. Battery replacement happens more often than it should. You may want to consider another brand. (I used to be a huge APC fan, not so much anymore)

2. I've heard that a simple power off is not bad for the projector/bulb. It can actually be better because it lets the bulb cool down more slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks