UPS is KILLING ME....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SanfordL, Apr 9, 2002.

1. SanfordL

SanfordL Stunt Coordinator

Man, I am still trying to get over UPS, but I’m not having too much luck. Today, my scheduled day of delivery, my 16-46 PCi didn’t make it onto the truck. The reason given you might ask, well I assert it’s because the UPS driver going to my house is the world’s biggest weenus. His assertion was, “the box was too heavy for me to lift so I left it. You can go pick it up in Palatine at our facility there if you’d like.” He didn’t seem to like my wife’s reply to him, “Can I pick-up your paycheck, uniform and truck then too in addition to the shipping charges we paid?” Yeah, my wife kicks ass....

Anyways, my quest for patience does not include situations like this, so I called 1-800-PICK-UPS and gave them a little tune-up. It also helps that my company does lots of business with UPS too, but I still doubt I’ll see my sub before Wednesday. So, if today, you see a UPS driver with really thin wrists (resembling a ferret according to my wife - her words, not mine) in the Streamwood, IL area, please flip him off for me.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Haha, gotta love the Brown hey [​IMG]

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    If the driver can't lift a package that's within UPS' weight limit, well, why was he hired in the first place? I feel your pain, but agree that your wife can bring it! Laughed my a** off!! Anwyay, here's hoping that you have a surprise waiting for you tomorrow...

4. SanfordL

Rant continued from above ...and they still aren't willing to confirm that I'll get it on Wednesday either. How does a company stay in business offering such great service [​IMG] . Don't get me wrong, I understand that ground service is not guarunteed (sp?) but come on, "The box was too heavy" just doesn't cut it. Time to put Nancy behind a desk making copies so he doesn't hurt himself picking up a box or maybe get a hangnail.... End Rant
    The thing that stinks the worse is that I could have gone and picked the thing up over the weekend at their sort facility, but didn't. [​IMG]

5. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    It's too bad that SVS doesn't use FedEx Ground. Every time I've used them their service has been exemplary. In addition to walking all over UPS in that department, their rates are generally cheaper and they deliver on Saturdays for NO EXTRA CHARGE. I never see brown when I ship ground if I can help it.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

This thread makes me so mad... I am going to ship myself a load of bricks just to get back at them!

7. Trent C

Trent C Agent

Dave,
    ROTFLMAO. [​IMG]
    Trent

8. SanfordL

Doug, UPS offers very aggressive discounts to repeat shippers like SVS. We pay about 45%~65% of their tariff rates with probably 1/10th of their shipping volume so I can only imagine what SVS pays.
    Dave, send me your address, I have some Quickrete sacks I could send you [​IMG] I am glad I didn't ask for today off.

9. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Sanford - I take it that FedEx Ground isn't competitive with their business rates?

10. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Part of the reason FedEx Ground is sometimes less expensive is because they are a relatively recent acquisition and as a result FedEx is trying to penetrate the market. However, they have their own share of problems. I had a few packages returned to the manufacturer after FedEx Ground claimed that my address did not exist.

I was not aware of free Saturday delivery on Ground shipments and as a regular FedEx user I am frankly skeptical. Feel free to prove me wrong.

--Steve

11. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Well Steve, all I can offer to prove you wrong is personal experience. They don't charge for it. It's not offered as a seperate service, they just deliver on Saturday. Feel free to call their 800 number if you're still skeptical.

12. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Doug, my statement "feel free to prove me wrong" came across as being much more inflammatory than I wanted it to be. Sorry about that.
    To clarify, FedEx Home Delivery (similar to but slightly different from and more restricted than regular Ground service) does indeed deliver on Saturdays in selected metropolitan areas. So, uh, we're both right [​IMG]
    --Steve

13. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

14. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

The year we spent trying to get FedEx Ground to work well for us was one of the longest of my life.

We will close our doors, or personally deliver subs before we go back to them. I know some regions have excellent service, yet others (and no, I'm not making this up) consisted of "Bubba" dropping off a sub while the unmarked van was moving, off the back about 3 feet, onto someone's driveway.

Lost subs, subs returned for no explicable reason, subs that arrived in more pieces than they started before assembly.

Trust me, UPS (imperfect as they may be) is a dream compared to the disaster known as RPS/FedEx Ground.

Ron

15. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

I feel for you Sanford, the only thing more painful than waiting for a shipping confirmation is looking at the Brown tracking site and watching your package go everywhere but in the direction of your house.[​IMG]
    Matt

16. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Sanford, hope it works out okay for you.
    Also, your wife *rocks*!! [​IMG]

17. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

SanfordL, I feel for you. I'm up here in Gurnee, and I was patiently (snicker) waiting the arrival of my 20-39PCi since the end of last week. It would have been unbearable, save for the birth of my 1st child on Friday morning!
    OK, OK, I guess this really is a weak excuse to brag about my new son (Zachary), but he's absolutely beautiful. My wife and I couldn't be happier. What a joy it's been.
    Anyway, back to my SVS story...and not to pour salt in your wound, but the SVS arrived today at 4pm, and it is FANTASTIC! I've sampled many of my favorite DVDs, and the bass is something to behold. (The tough part was doing all this without waking the baby.) So, in the end, when you finally receive your PCi tomorrow you will probably forget about your UPS fiasco because you won't be able to wipe the smile from your face. Thanks to Tom, Ron, and everyone at SVS for making such a great subwoofer.
    Alright back to my son for a second. I guess, as soon as he's old enough, I'll have to get him a membership on HTF. Let's see, ZachMac, that sounds pretty good...[​IMG]

18. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

UPS is my last resort as a shipping method. I've been friends with the high school/college guys that actually drive the brown trucks and I know how they treat packages.
    I'm a Fedex ground/saver type of guy. Whenever I see a fedex truck it makes me feel happy. [​IMG]
    -- and whenever I think about how my fedex package is handled I think of the film "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks saying "tick tock tick tock".

19. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Whenever I see a fedex truck it makes me feel happy.

20. I had my Energy e.XL25s all beat up by ups and it took them two weeks to pick them up for inspection and return. I even took a day off and they never showed up. But even before that when they tried to deliver the box they needed an adult signature so I got a little yellow note. I called the number on the back and told them to hold it and I would pick it up on that friday. The next day they tried to deliver it again so I called again. The next day was friday so I went to pick up my package only to find it was being delivered again for the third and final time. I had the women call the driver and try to meet someplace but that didn't work out. When I got home about 5 I called them to pitch a bitch and demand all kinds of compensation when the bell rang and it was ups. The driver said he felt bad about what happened and delivered my beat up speakers after he finished his route. I was so frustrated that I didn't open the box until the next day only to start another round of stupidity with them. They suck plain and simple.

Tony