UPS for 55in RPTV Question?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DanielKellmii, Nov 27, 2005.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

A few months ago Circuit City had a small UPS (325VA) for $20 after rebate. On impulse I bought it. All I have it hooked up to is my 55in RPTV. It will run the TV durring a power outage for at least a minute. I have never left it on until it quit on me. Is the UPS actually helping with anything, or is it too small to make a difference?

I am getting a generator, and I wonder if this UPS would help with the "dirty" power I get from the generator?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That's not its purpose. Are you getting a generator so that you can provide essential power for things like lights, cooking, and heating during an interruption of power due to a storm outage or so that you can run your HT system?

3. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I know that is not its purpose. I was just wondering if the UPS had any effect on the quality of power. For reasons I won't get into, the generator I am going to buy will provide me with plenty of electricity, so, I just wanted to use it.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

No, it won't have any effect whatsoever. Assuming you're buying a house generator like something (synchronous as opposed to induction) that puts out 30 kW or so and runs off diesel or propane, then the power quality may actually be quite good seeing as there are hospitals that use such devices to run their instruments during power outages. I'd recommend that you contact the manufacturer and ask them to provide details on the actual power quality. You should be able to find out whether it puts out an actual sine wave, the amount of distortion, voltage stability, etc. That should guide you.