What's new

Upgraditis may have gotten the better of me. (1 Viewer)

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
I went shopping on Boxing Day to some local electronics stores here in Calgary and thought perhaps I should upgrade my Yamaha RX-V2300 to the RX-V2400. The price was decent IMO, $1200 CAD icluding Tax and ext. warranty. Hooked it up today and now I'm not sure I've made a wise choice. For whatever reason it sounds quite different than the 2300, almost thinner or something. I've gone through the extensive menus and set-up several times, calibrated with Avia, tried the YPAO feature and remain unconvinced that this receiver is even equal to my old one. I'll have to play around with it some more tomorrow and experiment with various settings.

The component video up-conversion works well and the OSD is large and works with component video. A large annoyance however is how it handles my dth satellite's Dolby Digital audio. It does dialnorm and it's different for a number of channels switching between -27db and +4db. So it blasts on some channels and is mouse quiet on the next. This is probably my satellite's doing but it is a problem either way.

I realize every receiver is different when it comes to db settings for volume but I have to have this receiver turned up much farther than the 2300. Maybe it's irrelevant but it bothers me. Anyone have any volume numbers from their 2400?? For DVD it's gotta be at -15 or better, the 2300 was at -30. TV is at -35 to -30 for the +4db channels, much higher for the -27db ones. 2300 was at -50. CD at -40 was crankin' on the 2300, 2400 is at -25 or greater.

In my eagerness to buy this rig I didn't pay much attention to the store's return policy, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get a refund, maybe exchange only. Not real sure my purpose for this post, perhaps just to vent a little anxiety. I really like my RX-V2300, thought I'd like the 2400 even more, guess I've got 5 more days to see.

Thanks for reading.

Steve

Jonny K

Second Unit
Being in Calgary, I know that there are two authorized Yamaha dealers in the city - A&B Sound and Soundsaround. I bought my RXV-1300 from A&B and I believe you can return it no questions asked within 30 days. (unless you bought it on some special clearance deal or something).

Regarding volumes, I watch DVDs at around -30, although you can't really compare in this manner since speakers are all different.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jonny. Yes I bought the 2400 from SoundsAround and should have paid more attention to their less liberal return policy, 7 days exchange, no refunds. Due to the sale-ability of this receiver perhaps they'll make an exception. I bought my 2300 at A&B Sound and probably should have bought there again but they didn't seem to be stocking any 2400 models. I'm going to try the room optimizer again today with some different settings and experiment and see what happens.

It's just a situation where you expect to be Wowed by a newer and "better" piece of electronics and it hasn't happened. Any other 2300 t0 2400 upgraders out there, what are your thoughts??

Cheers,

Steve

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just purchased the 2400 and had the same experience after the auto setup. I did a manual setup and went into the Graphic EQ and set it to GEQ. This bypasses the EQ set up in the auto setup. My 2400 sounds much better to me now.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Marty. I did the auto set-up three more times today with slightly different settings for the EQ part (flat, mid and low). It is very accurate with speaker distance and picked up that my mains are large floorstand models. They won't do 20hz by any means but they do go quite low. It was also very accurate with setting speaker levels.

Having said that, it picked a very high crossover, 110hz, perhaps due to my center and set the mains and surrounds to large. That set-up was no good to my ears. I prefer having all my speakers set to small and let my SVS handle the bass. I will reset the EQ and try again tonight to get the sound where I want it. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Quick update. After scrapping the auto set settings, I think it sounds better. I like the 80hz or 90hz crossover although 60hz may be a little better blend. Speakers set to small, bass sent to sub only. The volume readings are just that it appears, the 2400 can go plenty loud, it's just different than the 2300.

I think maybe I got caught up in the Boxing Day frenzy and put the cart before the horse. For my current situation the 2300 is an ample receiver. I feel a little stupid for upgrading when it wasn't really necessary. I am going in to speak with the manager of the store where I purchased and see what my options are.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Further Update:

Spoke with both the HT manager and store manager and they are stead fast and adamant regarding their No Refund Policy.

Sucks IMO but I should have read that before the purchase. So, now my options are:

1. Keep the 2400 and sell my 2300 as planned.

2. Sell the 2400 if possible and keep my 2300.

3. Exchange the 2400 for a 3300 straight across.

I've got until January 2nd to make the decision as the store isn't doing exchanges until then.

Thoughts or opinions... buyers for a 2300 or 2400??:)

Cheers,

Steve

Jonny K

Second Unit
Oohhh how you tempt me! I just bought an RX-V1300 a few months ago!

But I've got to be strong...no, I can't buy your receivers! :)

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
C'mon Jonny help a fellow Calgarian out.;) I think I have a few friends interested but one already bailed out. Of course he bailed after I'd sprung for the new one.:frowning:

Oh well, I'll figure something out, there's always the bargain finder or e-bay I suppose.

Cheers,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks