Upgraditis has struck. Need advice in moving up from AVR-5700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidNighorn, Aug 26, 2003.

1. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I am considering jumping into the separates pool with a budget of not more than $3000 for new equipment. This pretty much limits me to the outlaw/rotel level of equipment, I think. Also, I have pretty much decided to get the monstrous 7-channel amp from Outlaw if I go down this path at all. My listening is about 75% movies, and 25% cd, dvd-a, sacd.

So, given all of the restrictions above, am I really going to hear a difference from my trusty Denon 5700? It needs to be a noticeable difference for me to make this jump. Would I be better off to get the amp and then use the 5700 as a preamp-pro?

Any advice that you can give is appreciated!

David

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

An interesting upgrade path and exactly the way I went. I started with a 5700 in my home theater, then added some Marantz Monoblocks for the front soundstage (L/C/R) then an Outlaw 950 pre/pro (with the 5700 filling in for surround speaker amplification) and then an Outlaw 755 to replace the 5700 amps entirely. (I didn't get the 770 because the Marantz 700 monoblocks were already in place and comparable in performance to the 755/770 stages.)

Each time I upgraded I got a little closer to sound nirvana for me.

Full details are available at my HT web site. If you look around a bit you will find a bunch of articles and commentary about my upgrade path(s).

I personally think that your budget would be a perfect fit for a 950/770 package. However, if you want to take the plunge one step at a time you could always start with the 770 and then add the 950 or something else later. In this business good amps generally last a lot longer in your upgraditis than other components (pre/pros, DVD players, etc.) Speakers are probably the second most stable component in most systems once you have settled on something you like and trust.

And one bit of caution (which you probably already know):

It never ends.

[​IMG]

I recently upgraded my 950 to a Lexicon MC-8 pre/pro. This, too, is discussed in detail at my HT web site. The road goes ever on!

Happy upgrading!

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Since most of your listening is in HT, I suggest you get the Outlaw amp to start with. In HT the 5700's preamp section should be comparable to the Outlaw 950 preamp except perhaps the lack of 6.1 capability.

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

One possibility is to search used equipment for a nice used multi channel amp and use your Dennon for the pre/pro. Possibly at Audiogon, a pawn shop or ebay, etc...
    You would save tons of $ so if you were very impressed with the new amp, then you could do research and find a pre/pro that was in your budget and possibly afford a 7.1 pre/pre and sell the Denon. [which im sure many would pay nicely for]... or something along those lines.

I purchased a 5 channel b&k amp thru audiogon and am very pleased with the results. Although I went from 2.0 to 5.1 and the difference was like watching a 13" compared to a misti 60" widescreen. my point is, dont just settle on Outlaw ONLY because it is in your price range. Not that Outlaw is bad, but there are so may possibilities, and with $3000 and possibly a Dennon to barte/trade/sell, you really have many options.

just my $.02

geno

5. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Geno. Stick with the Denon as a pre/pro and upgrade the amps with a nice 5 channel or 7 channel. You will hear a big difference. I am in your same position and have been trying to upgrade for awile now. I bought a B&K 200.5 amp in March and it made a huge difference in my system. Since then I have been researching to either buy a pre/pro or the Denon 5803 and use it as a pre/pro.

Everyone has told me to upgrade to the seperates but so far in my extensive auditions I have only found 2 units which I would say sound better than my 4802 as a pre/pro. These two units are the Classe SSP60 and the Lexicon MC8. I will hear about this but IMO and non audiofile ears, there is not any difference between the 4802 and the entry/midlevel pre/pros plus I don't have any bugs with the Denon. Just my .02 worth. Listen to a lot of equipment and decide for yourself. You might be surprised what you find out.

Ted

6. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Used gear rocks. $3k plus resale value of your denon 5700 is about $3800. You can get this upgraded Aragon Soundstage (w/o the parasound tuner) for ~ 2000. Then spend 1300 on a used 200x5 amp (ie, parasound 2205, sherbourn 5/1500, Rotel 1095, etc) and 400 on a matching 140x2 amp to drive the two rear centers.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...roc&1066860822

I've owned 10+ prepros/receivers over the last few years, and my upgraded Aragon Soundstage will stay in my system for years to come.