Upgrading XP PRO

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Wilson, Sep 30, 2003.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

My son just bought a used computer from a "friend of a friend". It has a copy of XP Pro on it but I don't believe its a legit copy. It won't let SP1 download so it may be one of those "corporate" copies that were around when XP first came out. Anyway, I'd like to help him get a legit copy as he's away at collage and he needs to have all of the latest updates from MS.

I've found the following academic XP PRO Upgrade but I don't know if I can use it to "upgrade" from from XP Pro to XP Pro. Any ideas if this would work? Since he is a student, he qualifies for the academic pricing.

Thanks for your help with this.[​IMG]

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I would bet it would install and updated his system. Lots of time the upgrade CD is actually the full version.

Give Vio Software a call and see if they know if it will work. You might also check with your son's College Book Store. They may have the upgrade or full version with the same pricing (- shipping).

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Probably not because the regular corporate does not require product activation and the student pro version does (I have a student copy from YSU for $12, and yes it is totally legit). But im not %100 sure. Unless it has data on it that you cant back up, I would just blow the OS away and start from scratch. Who knows what other illegal stuff is on there.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

If you have an old disk of like windows 95 or later lying around, just use it with that when it asks you for a valid copy of windows or whatever. That's what I generally do.

5. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Now for a follow-up question:

I loaded a legit copy onto another HD and installed the "old" OS HD as the slave drive. I have copied over all of the files he wanted i.e. music, videos, pictures. He would also like to copy over his Outlook Express data ( folders, address book, etc) What is the most straight-forward way to copy those files over when there are two OEs on the same computer? I have set up user accounts on both HDs so does his account name have to be the same as well?

Thanks for your help[​IMG]

6. RenoV

RenoV Agent

His old e-mail info will be in the C:Documents and Settings%USERNAME%Local SettingsApplication DataIdentities{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}MicrosoftOutlook Express folder on the old drive, just copy all of the .DBX files from there to the same location on the new drive.