What's new

Upgrading, where should my $1000 go? (1 Viewer)

Well guys, I have $1000, I'm going to list my components along with the speakers because I'm not sure I'll spend it all on just speakers, heres my meager system so far...
Reciever: Harmon Kardon AVR 35
TV: Sony WEGA KV27FV16
DVD player: DVD815AT
now on to my speakers...
Mains: PSB 300ci (I use these as sattelites in conjuntion with my sub
Center:PSB 200ci
Surrounds: Optimus LX5's (pretty weak speakers but they do have nice Lineaum tweeters that have good dispersion in 5.1 mode)
Subwoofer: Atlantic Technology 262 PBM (12 incher, closed disign with 150 peak watts)
So I don't have much to work with but I think if I spend right a thousand can go a long ways, I know theres some knowledgeable people out there who can help me out. Thanks!

I just want to add that I use my system primarily for movies, probably 80% movies, 20% music.

What will give me the most improvement? New mains and center,surrounds, or should I get a new subwoofer?

Does anyone know how good of a subwoofer the Atlantic tech is? It seems ok for music and works pretty hard on movies with deep bass. But I've never really experienced a good home theater system outside of a theater.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If that was my system my upgrade priorities would be a new TV or sub. Doubt you could do much with $1000 to make a big improvement over your current TV. But for $1000 I'm quite confident you could make a big step up with a sub. Say a SVS 20-39PCi($650) or an Adire Audio Dharman($599). Put the rest in the bank and continue to save for a bigger TV. After the TV then I'd start working on a new receiver and speakers.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I always liked the sound of PSBs, so I'm thinking you've got a good trend going down that path....

For a kilo-buck, I'm thinking you could round your system out rather nicely (minus a video upgrade to come later) with the previously mentioned SVS PCi, along with a pair of PSB Alphas for surround duty. Can't beat the SVS for bang-for-the-HT-buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks