Upgrading, where should my $1000 go?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calgary Goldsmith, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Calgary Goldsmith

Well guys, I have $1000, I'm going to list my components along with the speakers because I'm not sure I'll spend it all on just speakers, heres my meager system so far...
    Reciever: Harmon Kardon AVR 35
    TV: Sony WEGA KV27FV16
    DVD player: DVD815AT
    now on to my speakers...
    Mains: PSB 300ci (I use these as sattelites in conjuntion with my sub
    Center[​IMG]SB 200ci
    Surrounds: Optimus LX5's (pretty weak speakers but they do have nice Lineaum tweeters that have good dispersion in 5.1 mode)
    Subwoofer: Atlantic Technology 262 PBM (12 incher, closed disign with 150 peak watts)
    So I don't have much to work with but I think if I spend right a thousand can go a long ways, I know theres some knowledgeable people out there who can help me out. Thanks!

2. Calgary Goldsmith

I just want to add that I use my system primarily for movies, probably 80% movies, 20% music.

What will give me the most improvement? New mains and center,surrounds, or should I get a new subwoofer?

Does anyone know how good of a subwoofer the Atlantic tech is? It seems ok for music and works pretty hard on movies with deep bass. But I've never really experienced a good home theater system outside of a theater.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If that was my system my upgrade priorities would be a new TV or sub. Doubt you could do much with $1000 to make a big improvement over your current TV. But for $1000 I'm quite confident you could make a big step up with a sub. Say a SVS 20-39PCi($650) or an Adire Audio Dharman($599). Put the rest in the bank and continue to save for a bigger TV. After the TV then I'd start working on a new receiver and speakers.

4. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

I always liked the sound of PSBs, so I'm thinking you've got a good trend going down that path....

For a kilo-buck, I'm thinking you could round your system out rather nicely (minus a video upgrade to come later) with the previously mentioned SVS PCi, along with a pair of PSB Alphas for surround duty. Can't beat the SVS for bang-for-the-HT-buck.