Upgrading using a Socket adaptor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Wu, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have any experience with upgrading a Slot 1 MB using one of those Socket adaptors? Any tips?

I've got a Abit BH6 running a Celeron 300A OC'd to 450. I'm looking to upgrade to a Celeron 1.1Ghz by using a socket to slot adaptor. Are there things I should be on the look out for?

I'm looking to extend the life of this PC for a bit longer so I'm not looking at buying a new MB or CPU. My next machine will be a nice new box.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Probably won't work. With the BH6, you're limited in certain ways because of BIOS.. the highest I know of anyone carrying it with a slocket is 1Ghz P3.. after that you top out..
    You might check out: http://www.powerleap.com/ for more info.

3. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I have used some slockets; in particular, the Abit Slocket 3 and the Asus S370-DL models. Also, a couple of generic models. Have had no problems.
    I don't have any experience w/ the BH6 personally but I have seen OC results of this mobo w/ a 1100 Celly2 (the 128 L2 cache model). See the CPU Database @ www.overclockers.com for some OC results of the 1100 and you'll see some BH6 boards.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Be sure you have the latest and greatest in BIOS for the BH6, the one from last summer IIRC. That's the only way I could get a Celeron-II 566 and MSI slotket to run reliably at 850MHz overclocked.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Well, to clarify: the BH6 will support OC'd Celerons to 1100.. and it'll support the Celeron2, but it will not (cannot really, without a different adapter) support the Celeron3 because of the different power requirements of the CPU.