Upgrading to XP Professional from HP Home

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Seeber, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Monday night I'll be ordering a new Dell Dimension 8250. I'll be getting the Windows XP Home operating system, because a friend has given me the full version of XP Pro (yes, it's completely legit and has never been used).

I have little to no experience with the XP operating system, but I'd like to upgrade to Pro as soon as the computer arrives. Do I need to install from scratch, or can I upgrade from the XP Pro disc?

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Ken,

I would for sure start from scratch. Your Dell PC will come loaded with a lot of software that you won't need or ever use. When you go to boot off the XP Pro CD, it will give you an option to Format and Install. Just chose that option. This way you will have a nice clean install before you start loading your own software onto the machine. Best of luck!

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You wont notice a difference between home and Pro unless you are loging into a domain. I would reco leaving home on your new Dell (blech) and keep the Pro for say a laptop, or secondary computer u may want to upgrade. Not worth waisting an XP license on a mahcine that already comes with one.

I would def reco removing all the crap that the Dell comes with tho. If it comes with an ORM version of XP home instead of the typical system restore disk, use that. Home to Pro upgrade is worthless in your situation.

4. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I would check with Dell and see if they will ship it with no OS. You might save another $100 or so if you are going to use your own copy of XP Pro.

Hopefully, you won't have to pay for something you won't need!

5. Ken Seeber

Thanks for the tips. I ordered the computer this afternoon (thanks for the Dell review, Mikey). It should be here by Dec. 20 (I'll believe it when I see it), so further comments are always welcome.

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Guess my question would be why upgrade it? Most people who are using Pro on their home PC's don't use the extra features it has. Guess I'd stick with home and sell the copy of Pro unless you actually need/want one of Pro's features.

If you go for the install definately do a format & clean install as you'll save yourself potential future issues.

7. Ken Seeber

Brian,

I figure I have it, I might as well use it. You've raised some interesting points, though, which is why I love this board. I need to look into the differences between Home and Pro (not just features, but any stability issues, etc.). I have about two weeks to decide.

Thanks for the advice, it really is much appreciated. I'll be weighing my options!

8. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

You can find a list of some of the features available in XP Pro that aren't in XP home here
    I work at a university. The biggest difference that affects me is that XP Home cannot be added to a domain. It can still authenticate against the domain, it just can't be a member. Just about all our new students come in with laptops that have XP home on them, so this is a snag for them as well.

9. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I just ordered a Dell Dimension 4550 on 12/4 and I had it in my hands on 12/9.[​IMG] When I placed the order, the estimated ship date was 12/19. Have faith.