Upgrading? to SVS 39PCS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnEF, Jan 18, 2002.

1. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I have read many good posts on the SVS 39 PCS subwoofer and was considering an upgrade to it. At present I have a 250 watt Pinnacle sub-woofer that I have not been entirely satisfied with. Upon looking at the specs for the SVS I noted it came only with a 190 watt built in amp. Is this really an upgrade or does the design of the SVS 39PCS more than make up for the low wattage of its built-in amplifier?

Thanks.

John

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Two things to consider,

1)are the amps really capable of their rated output...into the speaker load...with typical source material.

2)what type of system sensitivity does the subwoofer have...that is...how much bass will it produce with 1w,10,100,250,ect.

How large is your room?

TV

3. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response. I looked at the specs for the sub-woofer and there is no sensitivity spec listed. The amplifier is 250 watts RMS, 400 watts peak and its low frequency response is down to 25 hz.

The room size is approximately 14 feet wide by 24 feet long and 8 foot ceilings. The main speakers and subwoofer is on one of the short walls.

I guess my question is whether the 190 watt SVS 39 pcs is a suitable upgrade to a pinnacle 250 watt sub-woofer?

John

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas