What's new

Upgrading to Seperates, need help (1 Viewer)

Kris McElroy

Auditioning
First I would like to say that I enjoy the forum and followed it for a while now. I am a new member to both the forum and home theater. My current setup is as follows:

Yamaha 5540 Receiver
B&W DM602S3 Mains
B&W LCR600S3 Center
Yamaha Subwoofer (purchasing SVS 25-39+)
Yamaha Surrounds (purchasing B&W DM600S3)

I originally purchased a Yamaha Home Theatre in a Box YHT-300, that is why the mix of B&W Speakers. I am wanting to upgrade my receiver to a seperates setup. I was looking at the Outlaw 950/770 Combo, and was wanting to know peoples thoughts on what to get? I watch TV 50%, DVD 50%, no music cds. I have also looked at the Sony 4ES or 7ES, but everyone says go seperate?

Kris

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
kris
I have the Sony TAE/TAN 9000ES seperates and recommend them as a good buy and even now are recommended over the 4ES / 7ES in the Perfect Vision Magazine. The Preamp weighs more then the 4ES (generally most of the weight is in the amp) and even though they seem similiar, many of the parts were downgraded for the 4ES series.
The TAE retailed for $1700 and the TAN for $1300.... if you look, you should be able to get the pair $1200 -$1500 and maybe buy another TAN and have more power than you (or your neighbors) can possible stand in an average room.
The TAE is complicated but seperates generally are...and your Yammy will seem like a bad clock radio

Good Luck whatever you do...but you really need to figure out what you want.
Most people have a tough time setting them up and using them. If you want '1 button turn on and play' dont go in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks