What's new

Upgrading to new receiver but using HTIB speakers (1 Viewer)

Dave*R

Auditioning
This may be addressed elsewhere, but being a noob, I couldn't seem to find an answer that satisfied me. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum (can't decide if it's a speaker or a receiver issue!)

My Panasonic HTIB (SC-HT67) has a power supply problem, and since I bought it from a friend friend for only $50, I figured I may as well begin to build a true HT with separate components! I've always wanted to get away from HTIB... I understand the issues.

Anyhow, since I just had a baby, the budget's a bit tight. I'm looking to be able to grow this system over time. I've found some decent looking receivers for about $200 (again, wish I could spend more!) and I'm thinking of cannibalizing the Panasonic speakers.

My issue is this: the receivers I'm looking at have outputs of 110 watts x 6 @ 8 ohms and 90 watts x 6 @ 8 ohms. The speakers I have are 6 ohms and say 60W (MUSIC). I'm not sure what the "music" part has to do with anything... Does this tell me how much they can handle? Because the manual says the panasonic amp is putting out 28 W x 6 @ 6 ohms.

I know that I'd be happier with better speakers. Eventually, I will get some. But is there anything about this setup that would be potentially damaging (to speakers or amp)?

My hunch is that I will have to be careful about monitoring levels, and turn down if it distorts. But will it distort at low SPL? I want to get a better amp than I currently have. I don't want to have to match the amp to my current, less glamorous speakers.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The $200 should be fine.

I'm guessing they mean "music" as a continuous & constant power consumption. "Movies", especially the surrounds, tend to be inactive for long periods, then have sudden spikes of needed power.

SteveMetcalf

Agent
First, the higher watts of the new reciever you will get are not a cause for concern. Although you can blow up your speakers with a lot of watts, you are more likely to damage them with an amp that has too low a wattage.(I can explain this if you like.)
The "music" rating is actually a way for the manufacturer to make it sound like the speaker has higher watts. In actuality music offers a lower average wattage since it has dynamic properties. RMS ratings(root mean square)are actually a better representation of what the watts should be. (in this case likely about 35-40w. Your amp watts will be calculated by using a sine wave to find maximum amplitude. Since the sine wave is constant it offers a higher average level than music would. This wave is then measured, and the square roots of various points along the wave are averaged. This is RMS (root mean square). In reality you will be able to get a better, louder sound out of the panasonic speakers with the new amp, with less distortion. You will notice a rattling sound from the speaker when it gets too loud.

The long and the short of it is simply: don't be too trigger happy with the volume, and get some better speakers soon. This will do fine for the interim.

Dave*R

Auditioning
Thanks Steve! Great info, and I feel much more secure in my decision to start this slow upgrade.

I hope that I will not be in this situation long. Hopefully new speakers and a powered sub before in less than a year.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Dave,

you should be able to get a refurb Harman Kardon AVR-130, 135 or maybe even a 230/235 for around $200 from Harman Direct on eBay..comes with full original HK warranty. Any of those HKs would easily demolish any receiver being sold around $200 at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Sony receiver.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator

Although I have not had good results with other Sony products, what is wrong their Receivers?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Sony home audio is generally very mediocre, though to their credit not outrageously inflated like Bose. Their main strong point is ease of use/setup like Onkyo, but of lower quality.

A few of their $150-200 mini-systems are actually not bad but that's only because the other stuff in the same price range is so horrible.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Is Onkyo still what they used to be? Everybody seems to recommend Pioneer right now,I thought they kinda fell off for a while?

SteveMetcalf

Agent
The Pioneer VSX1015 is a pretty good sounding amp - for the money. At about $700cdn retail it's a good pick. You would be hard pressed to find better sounding amps at nearly double the price. I've never been a Pioneer fan, but if under $1000 bucks was my budget for surround sound this is what I'd buy.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Onkyo is notorious for grossly overrating its RMS numbers, and all of their receivers have a protection circuit which shuts down before you get anywhere close to using the rated RMS.

I had an Onkyo 601 for 2 weeks before exchanging it for a Marantz 5400, the Onkyo was adequate for HT but music was very lackluster.

I'm told that the higher end Onkyos, 700 series and up, are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks